NewbGreen
Newly Registered

Sad tomato plants... could someone please assist?

Hey all

I live in NYC and have recently started getting into gardening (in a very limited capacity obviously). I got a tomato plant and placed it outside on the fire escape. for a while, it was doing outstanding. It shot up and started growing tomatoes. Everything was great... until about two weeks ago when I noticed that the bottom leaves were yellowing/browning and wilting. Then the wilting made its way up to the top. The plants in the same box (mint and basil) don't show any signs of disease/etc yet.

I'm at a loss. Is this sun damage? Bugs (haven't seen any yet)? Fungus?

If you could help it would be very greatly appreciated. I have attached some photos for your convenience.

Thank you

Michael
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

applestar
Mod

This looks to me like the tomato is not getting sufficient water and nutrients. Looking at the photos, it looks like the planter box is rather shallow, is that correct? The herbs with shallower roots system may not be affected yet.

Is it possible for you to build up the sides of the box around the tomato? Another 8" maybe? Then you could fill up with more potting mix and the tomato will grow additional roots along the buried stem.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Container depth notwithstanding, the soil in that pot looks very dry. Tomatoes require fairly steady moisture, as in the soil should never be allowed to dry out. Tomatoes are also fairly heavy feeders. Have you been feeding?

NewbGreen
Newly Registered

Just got a deeper pot and better soil based on what you guys brought up. I just noticed that the mint and basil also have some light spots on them... hopefully this isn't a disease and this is just a nutrients issue. Thanks for replying. I'll be back if the problem persists!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I know people grow tomatoes in containers, but it has never worked very well for me. In the heat of summer, a tomato container may need to be watered twice a day (mine were non-reservoir, old style containers). I just wasn't good enough to keep up with that.

imafan26
Mod

Tomatoes do well in self watering containers. The box you have probably is too shallow for a heavy feeder with a large root system. I plant in 18 gallon tubs or self watering containers and each container has one tomato.

This looks like a determinant tomato. It is short and the fruit is all at the top. Determinants will put out all of their fruit pretty much at one time and then they are done. It is natural for the lower leaves to turn yellow as they age. They should be picked off before the fungal diseases set in.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I know people grow tomatoes in containers, but it has never worked very well for me. In the heat of summer, a tomato container may need to be watered twice a day (mine were non-reservoir, old style containers). I just wasn't good enough to keep up with that.
Actually, I've been growing tomatoes in containers for quite a few years now with excellent results. No self-watering containers, but definitely containers way large enough (like 18"-20" minimum). Use a potting mix with moisture-containing components that enable me to only have to thoroughly water every other day (if we don't get enough watering from Mother Nature). Feeding twice a month.

Also grow other veggies in containers successfully - herbs, peppers, eggplant, okra, Swiss chard, lettuce, summer squash to name a few. Key for me is large-enough containers, water-retentive potting mix, & some attention.

NewbGreen
Newly Registered

FYI everyone

Changed the soil and the pot... plant is now flowering like crazy and I have five tomatoes growing. Hopefully it will stay healthy! Thanks all.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Thanks so much for the update - hope you end up with some ripe 'maters! :D

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”