Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

**APHIDS HELP!!** Aphids on my Flowers

I have noticed some aphids on several of my flowers. How do you get rid of them? Tried pepper spray, they sure have a tight hold on the plants, tried to spray them off but they still hold on..what do you do?

Thanks all!!

Also noticed some ants on them..my sweetie told me the ants are protecting the aphids..why? So confused!!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

"Some species of ants farm aphids, protecting them on the plants they eat, eating the honeydew the aphids release from the terminations of their alimentary canals. This is a mutualistic relationship." Wikipedia

What I do usually is rely on insecticidal soap.

It may result in burned petals; maybe even burned leaves if applied in bright sunlight. Spraying in late afternoon is best.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Put out ant bait to get rid of the ants
Blast the aphids off the leaves with a strong jet of water. If you take care of the ants they cannot be brought back up.

Insecticidal soap should work on most plants. I usually spray early in the morning instead of the afternoon but it is much hotter here. I would still do a test spray first to make sure nothing is sensitive.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Thanks everyone. I put a strong hose spray on them this morning, now this afternoon they are back but not as many. Going to try a pepper spray we made.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:... Insecticidal soap should work on most plants. I usually spray early in the morning instead of the afternoon but it is much hotter here. I would still do a test spray first to make sure nothing is sensitive.
I think it would have been better for me to have said, "near sundown."

Steve

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I've had best success with gently rinsing the plants with plain water (under leaves as well), then allowing to dry thoroughly, then applying Safer brand insecticidal soap. Sometimes it takes a couple of applications over a period of a few weeks, but it has worked very well for me.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”