rdn1988
Newly Registered

Strange coloration and wilting

Tomatoes
Tomatoes
Hello,
This is my first year actually gardening and some of my plants specifically tomatoes have leaves that are wilting up and turning yellow and brown, also the cucumber leaves are white, finally something is eating my Brussels sprouts. I looked it up and it looked like mineral deficieny, so I bought some plant tone and used it but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestion would be appreciated
Attachments
IMAG0090.jpg
IMAG0089.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That looks like sun scald to me. Where are you located & how long have these seedlings been in your garden? Did you direct-sow or were they transplants? If transplants, how long did you harden them off for?

rdn1988
Newly Registered

I am in Upstate NY zone 5 and the seedlings have been there since May 20th. I transplanted mostly everything. I hardened off for 2 days although that was unintentional, and did not know you had to do that until now.

rdn1988
Newly Registered

They are also in full sun.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Okay - hardening off should take place over a period of at least a week or two - starting out in shade & then slowly moving into sun. So I do suspect that your seedlings are suffering from weather stress/sunscald. There really isn't much you can do at this point apart from waiting things out. Assuming the weather cooperates (as in you don't get any late frosts where you are), they should bounce back once they acclimate.

rdn1988
Newly Registered

Oh alright cool do you think the tomato plants are having the same problem I 100% agree on the cucumbers. I went online and looked at acclimation problems, and it looked as if they turn white when that happens. The tomatoes look like the leaves are turning yellow and dying

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I still think it's stress-related. It doesn't look like any type of blight or pest that I've ever seen, & this early in your zone I'd think it would be a bit early for either of those anyway. But I'm not a tomato expert. How is your watering regimen? Too dry soil can also cause leaf-edge yellowing/browning like that.

rdn1988
Newly Registered

It's been really dry here so been watering in the morning then evening letting them dry out in between. It most likely is stress though just wanted to check with someone that is more experienced, before killing them from overfeeding because I thought it was nutrient problem

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

YES - I definitely would stop the feeding for the time being. That will stress already stressed plants even more since they're really not in a position to make use of the nutrients being supplied.

rdn1988
Newly Registered

Alright I will thank you very much for your help!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”