Marz
Newly Registered

Anyone know what this is?

IMG_6107.jpg
IMG_6106.jpg
The tree (not sure what kind it is) is infested. The black droppings on the bench are from whatever is eating the tree. Do I treat it? Remove it?
I'm in the great lakes region of the United States.
Thanks for any help.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Droppings of that size are most likely coming from some type of caterpillar. Since many pests are tree-species specific, it would help if we could i.d. the tree.
My body is a temple. Unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper.

Marz
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. I had to go gather some more pictures for you.
Also on the leaves
Also on the leaves
The culprits
The culprits
Leaves for ID
Leaves for ID
The tree
The tree
The trunk
The trunk

imafan26
Mod

I'd say that there are a few things wrong besides the caterpillars.

Bt (dipel or Thurgicide) sprayed on the tree will help to deal with the caterpillars.

The sucking insects can usually be taken care of with soap or horticultural oil once a week. If you use the oil, do not use it on a day that exceeds 80 degrees or it can burn. Use it early in the morning when the leaves are cool.

Try to feed the tree and make it as healthy as you can. Stressed plants attract more pests than healthy ones.

I don't know what kind of tree it is but it has a lot of small twiggy growth and the dead wood and crossing branches should be removed. Pruning is an art and if done badly will ruin the tree forever, so it is better to find someone who knows how to do this to help you. Pruning out dead and crossing branches though is easy, just don't get gung ho and keep chopping. A little at a time gives the tree time to recover and you really need to stand back a bit and plan what needs to go and what needs to stay, that is where having someone who knows what they are doing helps.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I respectfully agree to disagree, but it's never a good idea to feed ANY stressed plant.
My body is a temple. Unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper.

imafan26
Mod

I would not not feed a plant and then not water it or let it remain stressed. That would definitely make things worse.
But I would do everything needed to try to get the plant healthy. It is better to feed and prune at the right time of the year and feeding alone doesn't work unless the plant also gets watered as well as pests controlled.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”