Arminius
Newly Registered

Double trouble - powdery mildew on apple and another plant

Hello there,

I have two plants with two different diseases which I need help for:

First plant
2015-05-12 09.56.12.jpg
There are two apple trees like this (one infected the other one although they are some space appart). They were first inside then I put them on the balcony so they don't infect any plants inside.

It looks to me like powdery mildew.

Am I right?

The first treatment I had tried was a copper based fungicide (blue color). Something like copper-sulfate, I don't remember. Did not really work.
I tried treating with the milk-water mix and it did seem to work but came back a few days later.

What can I do? Help!!

Second plant:
2015-05-12 09.56.26.jpg
Plant has always been outside and developped recently this thing which looks like wool balls.
I suppose it is mealybug, again, am I right?

How can I treat it???

Thanks a lot for your help, I am really lost!

Arminius
Newly Registered

Anybody? I'm really lost here... :?

applestar
Mod

Hi! I updated the subject of the thread so hopefully it will catch more member's attention. :wink:

First one definitely looks like powdery mildew. This is on an apple tree? Is it in a container? It's impotant to repeat the treatment after rain, etc. washes it off especially with chemical sprays. Though not as critical for the lactobacillus in the milk spray because they will stick on by themselves, it should be repeated once a week during the humid/muggy fungal disease prone season. Make sure to spray both top and underside of the leaves.

Apple trees should not be kept indoors, btw.

What is the second plant? I think those fuzzy things look like either mealy bugs of wooly aphids. Try touching them with cotton swab dipped in alcohol. Mealy bugs are red under their wooly waxy coating and will rub off. Wooly aphids spin mor cottony material until it looks like fluffy pillow stuffing got caught in the plant -- usualky underneath the leaves.

Arminius
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot applestar!! :D

Has anyone ever tried to innoculate the lactobacillus into the plant itself, I.e. by putting it into the earth rather than on the leaves? The apple tree is in a clay pot on my balcony.

I look to me as if the mildew is thriving now the sun starts to shine! How long does it usually take to cure a plant? When do you know you were successfull?

I have no idea what the second plant is. I did not buy it... I just call it a bush.

The parasites are all above the leaves. I tried the alcohol trick and the wolly thing disappared. No red below, just a white transparent bead.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”