Cat Mint
Newly Registered

Yellow leaves on Rhubarb!

I just bought a Rhubarb plant in a 1 gallon pot from a well known nursery/greenhouse last week. I haven't planted it yet because it is too cool and rainy lately. I had it outside for a day before the rains came, and it has been raining every day now but I brought the Rhubarb inside before it rained the first day. It is sitting on my table right in front of the window for sunlight. Yesterday the little baby leaves started to turn yellow, now just over night a few of the big ones are turning yellow too. :shock:

What is happening? I paid good money for this Rhubarb plant and now something is wrong with it? :cry: Can anyone help please!!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Yea, its needs a wider home than the pot it is in.

The smaller the pot is, the bigger the particle size needs to be for your rhubarb to prosper. Too much rain is a cause of those yellow leaves and of anoxia. The short is your plant in drowning in its pot.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

It is not too cool to plant the rhubarb. They like the cooler temps. Even with rain coming down nearly every day our is doing fine.

Cat Mint
Newly Registered

tomc wrote:Yea, its needs a wider home than the pot it is in.

The smaller the pot is, the bigger the particle size needs to be for your rhubarb to prosper. Too much rain is a cause of those yellow leaves and of anoxia. The short is your plant in drowning in its pot.
But I brought it inside before all the rains. I watered it the first day I bought it last week, not enough to even drain out the big holes in the bottom. It hasn't had no other water since then and the soil is slightly moist (I guess I'd say like a well squeezed out sponge) but not soggy.

Could it be something else then?

Cat Mint
Newly Registered

PaulF wrote:It is not too cool to plant the rhubarb. They like the cooler temps. Even with rain coming down nearly every day our is doing fine.
The garden is all muddy now and it would be hard to dig in there to plant it right now. I also have clay soil so what should I amend the soil with that the Rhubarb would thrive in? I never planted Rhubarb before, but it is my mom's wish to have some Rhubarb in my garden. She has terminal cancer and I sure hope I can make this little plant survive for her! :(

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”