SanamDehghan
Newly Registered

Need Help with This Plant

Hi,

First I have to say that I am not a gardener (I haven't much information about gardening), although I love plants and flowers. By the way, I rent an apartment two years ago with a big lovely plant I even don't know its name. Everything was ok with that plant till some months ago that its leaves started becoming yellow. I don't know why. about 1-2 month ago there were very very small white worms on its soil. but now they are gone. Would you please help mw about it. What is the problem and how can I put thing about this plant to normal?

I attach some photos to show the plant and the way it looks now.

Thanks a lot for your kind help.
Attachments
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
small leaves grow from the bigger ones.
small leaves grow from the bigger ones.
IMG_0046.JPG
Its soil (I took this picture this morning)
Its soil (I took this picture this morning)

applestar
Mod

It looks a bit like my night blooming cereus. It seems like it's too elongated and needing stronger light. It seems to have outgrown its pot and the soil also looks compacted. The leaf damage looks like it was scorched -- Sun? Some kind of spray? Ant another photo with scratch marks like it had been damaged. Was it moved or placed outside or something?

I think imafan would know better how best to proceed so I'll stop here.

SanamDehghan
Newly Registered

I search the name of the plant you wrote. Yes it is night blooming cereus. thanks for this information. well I live in the 10th floor, so I never moved the plant. so it is not damaged. Even the upper leaves which are new start to have these scratches. Also the weather here is not so hot, we had snow last week so I don't think it is because of the sun, we had really hot days last summer and nothing happened. Maybe I had to replace the pot and soil. what do you think?

thanks for your help

imafan26
Mod

I think it has been in the same pot for too long in the same soil. It is probably depleted of nutrients and I think you may have salt build up. You will notice that by the salt crust on the soil and salt stains on the pot especially around the drain holes. Salt damaged plants can looked burned.

I would repot in a newer and larger pot with new soil. The old root ball should be flushed, or trimmed but it does take a little bit of skill to do that without killing or stressing the plant out too much. The other way to do that is to leach it out and dilute. The pot should be put in the shower (put a stainer in the drain) and flushed with clean water to flush out salt. It is better to use rain water for watering. Municipal water may contain higher salt content.

SanamDehghan
Newly Registered

thanks a lot for your help. I think I have to change the pot and soil. Thanks again

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”