sktsfbay

Help with Mint and Basil plants

Hi,

I planted basil and mint 3 weeks ago. Within the first week, I noticed the leaves are not green anymore. I have attached two pics. Any idea what's causing this? And if there is anything I can do?

Thanks.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

RamblingRiver

I have many varieties of mint growing with no problems like this. While I don't know what's bothering your plant specifically I can tell you what I do with mine and that may help. First make sure you have a quality potting soil. Next be sure it's in partial shade, all mine are under a oak tree. Also be sure and water it regularly.....like 4-5 times a week. Hope something here helps.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think your plants are diseased. If they were showing symptoms within the first week, they probably were already diseased when you bought them. If you bought them from a reputable place, you may be able to take them back

It looks like two different diseases, which further suggests that it wasn't something that they picked up from your property. The whitish spots on the mint leaves look like powdery mildew. If so it would be slightly fuzzy/ powdery looking:

https://media.growsonyou.com/photos/ques ... am_008.jpg

Besides the brown spots, were the basil leaves so crinkled up like that to start with or is that part of the disease process?

I'm not so sure what is going on with the basil. Some of the spots look like sun scald - If you water from above and there are water droplets on the leaves when the sun hits it, it can act like a magnifying glass and burn the leaves in those spots. But that would not account for the dark and ragged edges.

imafan26
Mod

The leaves look a bit puckered too. Usually that is from a sucking insect like aphids, mites or thrips. Aphids you should be able to see under the leaves. Thrips and mites are tiny and you would need a loupe or microscope for that.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A couple plants in pots doesn't seem to qualify as "a big problem." And I personally would never call in a "pest control company" because almost all of them use poisons as their only solution to any problem. We can learn to deal with these things ourselves in safer, more earth friendly ways.

If you type powdery mildew into the search box at the top of the page, it pops up 223 matches, most of which will give you ideas about how to manage it.

sktsfbay

"Besides the brown spots, were the basil leaves so crinkled up like that to start with or is that part of the disease process?"
It is crinkled up to start with. Even the new/small leaves that sprout up, they are crinkled/curled.

I used Miracle Gro potting soil.

I think I will throw the plants away and plant news ones this coming weekend.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In that case, be sure to throw the soil away too and start with fresh clean soil. Many disease organisms can stay in the soil.

sktsfbay

No luck the second time. I threw away the plants and soil and planted new mint and basil plants. Its been two weeks and they don't look good.
Attachments
Mint.jpg
Basil.jpg

applestar
Mod

Recalling what
rainbowgardener wrote:I'm not so sure what is going on with the basil. Some of the spots look like sun scald
...are you sure you are hardening them off carefully before putting them in more sunny location than they were used to at the store?

sktsfbay

...are you sure you are hardening them off carefully
Not familiar with that term, but sounds like I should have kept the plants in shade (how long?) before moving it to sunny location? Is it too late now?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

First off - & something that I don't see being asked before - WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED???

While mint is fairly frost/cold-weather hardy (& difficult to kill), basil is NOT in any way, shape, or form. So if you're located in a temperate climate, some of your problems (leaf curling) may have been due to planting in initially cold temps.

I don't see disease problems here as much as I see culture problems. Have you read up anywhere on the proper way to care for these plants? Because what I'm seeing are plants that started out too cold & have been kept way too wet. No need to call in pest-control or throw out gallons of potting soil - just do some reading, wise up, & start again correctly.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sktsfbay wrote:
...are you sure you are hardening them off carefully
Not familiar with that term, but sounds like I should have kept the plants in shade (how long?) before moving it to sunny location? Is it too late now?
Yes, hardening off is the process of gradually exposing plants to the harsher conditions of outdoors, direct sun, wind, heat, cold, etc. It's probably too late to do it now, but if you just keep your plants consistently watered (not drying out, but not wet/ soggy) they will probably tough it out themselves. The leaves that are burned will never recover, but the new leaves that emerge should be fine.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”