Garden Whisper
Newly Registered

Teeny Weeny Little Harmless Annoying Critters

Hi everyone,
Most people here do not have lawns. The water is so expensive here in the Sequoias. An average of $225 for 2 months.
So we garden in containers. Plus the soil is actually useless. This mountain is made up of large rocks and boulders. Sand, adobe and dirt was brought in in order to make the lots level enough to sell the lots for the houses.
:?
My yard has these very tiny non biting bugs. They're a nuisance because they get all over you. You can not see them but you can sure feel them crawling on your scalp and the rest of your body. A shower gets rid of them until you go back out to work in the yard.
The problem is that I can not give my little dog a bath every day . . . which wouldn't help anyway since she potties in the yard through out the day. It hurts me to see her scratching at them and I can give her no relief. :(

I have heard of bugs that invade dry environments.
My husband brought an Iris in to put into a glass of water and I told him to go to the sink and gently tap the stem of the Iris against the edge. A lot of those critters fell into the sink that could be easily seen against the beige sink color.
Hence, I can not even have any of my flowers in my house nor can I give anyone a small bouquet.

I read a post here about using a solution of dish soap, hot water and vinegar to spray the yard.
I can put it into that container that hooks on to the hose, but I doubt that I can spray vinegar on to my roses or any of my flowers.
I don't think the bugs have a hard shell.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

applestar
Mod

I think the first step is to identify these critters.

Does anyone here know what they are?

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”