Dawn R

What ate my Zucchini sprouts?

I live in hot Southern California and have an amended clay soil garden. I'm a novice gardener, but I've done some research and am trying some companion gardening to keep my little garden happy.

Last night I checked my Zucchini sprouts and they were perfect. Then this morning, this. I don't know if the pictures posted, but they have severe buggie gnawing around the edges and some worked in spots. They also have black stuff left on them (bug poo?). I have been looking around the garden and under the zucchini, but I can't find any culprits :/

I would appreciate ideas of what this may be and how to control said pest.

Thank you so much.
Attachments
image.jpg
IMG_20150329_084409281_HDR.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Oh, that's pretty nasty. My guess is some kind of beetle. The damage is not typical of slugs and snails and I know beetles love young squash plants. They usually hide in the mulch. Pull the mulch away from the plant to eliminate hiding places. You can try neem or pyrethrins. Insecticidal soap or oil will not work on hard bodied insects. Neem does not work fast but it will make the bugs stop eating eventually.

Dawn R

That is very helpful. They have just started on my last two plants. I'll pull the mulch and try some of your suggestions. Thank you so much!!!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”