Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

What is showing disease resistance in 2014?

I have some promising plants this year! I also have a few that won't be back.

For tomatoes:
The MOST impressive in my SC 7b garden are. Black Krim and (I think) Cherokee Purple . Both are pretty high on the taste block for my personal taste. Rich, smokey almost salty, sweet with a strong lingering acidic finish. These plants showed some initial early blight, which they shook off. Black Krim is starting to show some leaf spotting consistent with septoria but nothing major yet. It's mild.

(I think) Cherokee Purple is showing much the same as Black Lrim without the septoria. I should mention that there is a blighted Yellow Brandywine that is laying ALL OVER this plant and it is still just laughing it up! Tasty and resistant. It DID crack a little on me during the 5 days of rain we had last week. The fruits ripened on the window sill all the same and didn't rot. Sting plant!! 4.5 stars!!

Sungold has shown promising disease resistance. Shrugged off blight, and it's giving me a good crop. I don't prefer a sweet, sweet, fruity tomato, but everyone else at home and at work and daycare REALLY think they are spectacular. I like them with salt though.

One I will bring back even though it was the first to die was Orange Amana...yummy! It's been a pain in the rear the whole time. But worth it. Man says no. I disagree. Black Prince is wilted very badly with very little yield. Not all due to blight, but army worms really like it, and so did the climbing cutworms. I got MAYBE 2 tomatoes. They were just ok.

Marglobes are usually my favorite tasting tomato, but the just blah this year. So insipid. They are also caving to disease. So are the Rutgers. Just kinda "meh" this year.

Brown berry has been showing some wilt associated with blight. It's catching up with the plant.

I don't know how I got a Park's Whopper, but I did. It's perfectly healthy but I haven't tasted anything from it yet. It's got some large fruits, though.

Asian long cukes are diggin this weather. They are giving out no sign of disease. I believe the rest of my cukes have mosaic virus. They are trying to push new growth. They are straight 8's, Ashley, Asian long, annnnnnd,, I forgot and need to look.

Black Beauty and Grey Zucchini are taking a BEATING! I have really bad SVB damage, but they keep on keepin on. Yellow squash petered out this weekend. Acorn is trying to produce, but SVB keep trying to mess with them. Squash bugs too.

JC's Garden

My Cherokee Purples were the first to get Septoria and the only ones to get Southern Blight. I only have 3 plants left out of 15. I do enjoy the taste so I am saving seeds and will try again next year.
The next to get Septoria were the San Marzanos. When nothing else has BER, these guys do. They're too much trouble for me to give them a second chance.
My Super Siouxs have Septoria but keep producing. Unfortunately we have had several wet spells and the skin on the Siouxs tends to have deep splits. Great flavor, saving seeds.
My Amana Oranges have done very well. They have a little Septoria but fight it of real well. My wife likes these, I don't. Yep, you guessed it, saving seeds.
One of my most disease resistant tomatoes is the Brandywine Pink. What I read on them led me to believe they had very little resistance, doesn't look that way to me. I planted these a little later and haven't had a ripe one yet but they are getting there.
My most disease resistant is a cherry tomato I got from a friend's mother, Mrs Tucker. It is also the best tasting. Seed saved.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's so VERY strange that we are having such DIFFERENT results!

Orange Amana was the FIRST to go down here while Cherokee Purple (I think) is nearly untouched!

I liked the Orange Amana! It wins taste tests every night! :)

JC's Garden

Another funny thing. The plants that were the hardest hit by Septoria were the ones with 6+ hours of sun and the best air flow. :?: :!: :roll: Go figure.
On a positive note, I just found my first Brandywine Pink, ripe and hiding under the leaves. O:)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”