pinksand
Greener Thumb

Bronze Insect Eggs on Tomato

I was inspecting my tomato plant yesterday and found a cluster of bronze colored eggs on the underside of a leaf. I did a quick search online and the best match I found was for squash vine borer. Should I pick the leaf and squish the eggs? Are there any beneficial insects that lay similar eggs? Everything I found looked like bad news so I'm tempted to try to destroy the eggs before they hatch.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Being on tomato plant, I'm guessing stinkbug, but could also be squash bug. I don't know of anything beneficial it could be. I'd get rid of them.

applestar
Mod

Might have been leaf-footed bug eggs?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are right, could be. But they aren't ones you want in your garden, either.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I checked the leaf when I got home from work and it was covered in little red nymphs among the eggs! I picked the leaf, set it on my patio and squished every last one of them! Those nymphs look so much like wheel bug nymphs I don't know how to tell the difference.

applestar
Mod

Have to say that makes it more likely to be leaf footed bug nymphs, unless you think this wheel bug would be on tomatoes? (Don't know that one)

I posted a photo of a nymph that everybody thought was an assasin bug rather than leaf footed bug: Subject: Is this assassin bug or leaf-footed bug nymph?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

As far as I know, wheel bug is just another name for assasin bug... I think in reference to the wheel like armor on its back. I remember that thread actually! I had trouble seeing the difference then too lol. The assasin eggs look different though in the photos I found online so pretty positive they were leaf footed bugs. Thanks for the help!

applestar
Mod

Did a little dance there on your patio, huh? :>
You're welcome. :D

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”