anabanana
Newly Registered

zucchini in 3 gallon container

I am new to gardening and planted 3 zucchini plants in one 3 gallon container. After doing so I started reading online that only one plant should be in that size container. The plants are doing well and have zucchinis growing on them but I'm thinking I should move them to a bigger container. Should I move the plants even though they are already producing? Some leaves also have what appears to be mildew on them. TIA :)

applestar
Mod

Ooh. I'm not sure where you read that, but I'm afraid a 3 gallon container wouldn't be big enough for even a single zucchini plant. What's more, zucchini like most cucurbits hate their roots being disturbed so separating them is not really an option at this point.

I do have an idea that *may* salvage the situation to some extent though.... But how will depend on how you have this container situated and what you can do. They may still become too stressed and vulnerable to many pests and diseases that overwhelm them under best of circumstances.

What you can do is to get the vines to set down roots from as many leaf nodes as you can.

Ideas:

1) carefully lay the container on its side on prepared and amended ground and bury the leaf nodes
..or..
2) once the plants start vining, let them drape down to prepares/amended ground around the container and bury the leaf nodes
..or..
3) surround the container with more containers of rich but well draining potting mix and ... Well you get the idea.

I've never tried growing zucchini in containers, but a plant in the ground will get to be at least 5-6 feet across, which means they would need equivalent soil volume. I'm thinking 20-25 gallons?

I'm not sure if I would have the courage to cut and remove a plant or two, but that would be another way to give the remaining plant(s) better chance for survival.

anabanana
Newly Registered

Thank you for the response. I had originally planned on cutting two of the plants but the people at the nursery said not to and that the plants would do fine. I think I will just switch containers and hope for the best.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Another idea. If you have a regular garden, remove the pot from the soil and dig a big hole in the garden and place the entire ball of soil in the ground. Disturb as few roots as possible. If you have no regular garden or want to keep your zucchini in a pot, maybe you could do the same sort of thing in a much larger pot. Transplant the whole dirt ball into the bigger pot and fill in with soilless mix all around the old root ball.

In your present container, even small for one plant, cutting two of the plants may be a good choice. The remaining plant may produce as much as the cramped three plants would, anyway.

anabanana
Newly Registered

I have repotted into a larger pot. I just took the root ball and put it into the new container. Thank you and I hope this works. Does anyone know what I can use for the mildew besides baking soda?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Several home remedies have been used and reported. I am not sure of which works or works best.
1. vegetable oil mixed 2-3 tablespoons to a gal. of water and sprayed on
2. a 10% solution of cow's milk mixed with water.
3. compost tea mixed 1 part to 6 parts water
4. hydrogen peroxide mixed 1 part to 10 of water
5. garlic extract of 2 crushed garlic bulbs in a qt. of water and a drop of dish soap,cooled then mixed 1 to 10 with water.
Other treatments:
Bt treatments brand name Seranade or Sonata.
Copper and Sulphur fungicide sprays.

There may be more but these are the one I know of.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The hydrogen peroxide you get at the drugstore is 3%. You can use it straight out of the bottle.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”