applestar
Mod

GREEN LACEWINGS, Garden Patrol Sucking Insects/Eggs Squad

Green Lacewing adults are delicate looking things, and their eggs are displayed artfully on delicate thin stalks.
Green Lacewing eggs on a pea pod
Green Lacewing eggs on a pea pod
But their larvae are voracious eaters of almost all sucking insects in their adult and/or larval forms, as well as red spider mites and some moth eggs.

So I was very happy to spot a green lacewing larva on a squash blossom inside my SVB susceptible winter squash protection tunnel:
Green Lacewing larva munching on aphids
Green Lacewing larva munching on aphids
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: GREEN LACEWINGS, Garden Patrol Sucking Insects/Eggs Squa

who wudda thunk a pretty thing like a lacewing starts out like that? ! :)
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

shadylane
Green Thumb

That is great info to know about lacewings- Thanks applestar
Could pass off as a lady bug nymph similarity in looks, only needs red orange color.

applestar
Mod

I was picking strawberries yesterday, and when I reached for one very lovely red ripe berry, there was a green lacewing eggstalk attached to it, so...

... I didn't pick it... I left it to chance....

If the robins and catbirds didn't/doesn't find the berry, it may survive. :bouncey:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”