takipanos
Newly Registered

Problem With Young Plant

Hello everyone,

I have a 3 month old Chinese wisteria that I am growing that is showing some odd signs.

First after the first set of leaves, every other set has grown a more yellow colour than the dark green of the original, they have a plastic feel and look veiny. Now I know the yellowing is a sign of N deficiency but what also has happened is that some of the leaves on the second set are showing white spots in the middle of the leaf. The third set of leaves just popped and the light green leaves are still there but now I see just a few white spots on some of the leaves.

I have attached a few photos for you to take a look at.

Please let me know if you know what this is.
Attachments
Third set
Third set
Second set of leaves
Second set of leaves

imafan26
Mod

From your description, it is probably not nitrogen deficiency. Nitrogen deficiency shows up first on the older leaves and it should not get more yellow as is grows. Weak growth usually is a light deficiency.

I think your plant probably is getting too much water. No plant likes to sit in a tray of water and it probably is also not getting enough light. When there isn't enough light most plant leaves will get darker, but if it can't do that then sometimes the leaves bleach and then drop off.

These are the two most common problems of plants indoors.

Trees for the most part and bonsai trees in particular have high light requirements. Most bonsai are really happier kept outside.

Indoors there isn't as much air circulation and people tend to put trays under plants and water the plants in place when they really should be taking the plant to a sink and watering them well there to flush out the salts and make sure they drain before putting them back in their spot. Plants indoors may take longer to dry out and most people water more when they see their plant not looking good and the reality is that the roots are probably already drowning.

Unless you have a solarium or windows all around, it is hard to get enough light in a house. The best thing to do with houseplants is to have a shelf or rack with fluorescent lights mounted (it is better if the light can be adjusted up and down) just a few inches above the plant and turned on 16 hours a day. The inside of a house can be a lot hotter than outside with all the windows shut, so air circulation is also a problem.

takipanos
Newly Registered

Well that is a detailed reply.

Perhaps it's the lack of light that is causing the issue.

I actually water this guy the way that you mentioned under the sink once a week.

Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”