liljeremy089
Newly Registered

HELP! Little yellow jumping bugs in soil!

I have these little yellow bugs that jump to the sides of the container when you swipe your hand across the soil. I want to know what they are and if they are hurting my jalapeño pepper plant. It was showing no sign of problems until recent one of the pepper stems is yellow? Please help! Also if there is a fix I only want to do it organically, thank you!Wanted to add that they mostly only stay in the soil, you might find 1 or 2 on a leaf but they are mostly staying in the soil.
Attachments
THIS IS 1 OF MY PEPPER STEMS TURNING YELLOW
THIS IS 1 OF MY PEPPER STEMS TURNING YELLOW
THESE ARE A PICTURE OF THE BUGS
THESE ARE A PICTURE OF THE BUGS

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure what the bugs are. But that little yellow stem is a blossom that is dropping off. It's called blossom drop. It's generally caused by environmental factors. Too hot, too cold, too dry, too humid. Those are the most common reasons for blossom drop. It's normal. If you search blossom drop at this websites home page, there are loads of posts about it! Your plant looks pretty healthy and normal to me! Maybe it just didn't get pollinated. That's another cause of blossom drop.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

YOUR STEM IS GREEN !! YOUR PLANT IS HEALTHY !! your second pic is not clear put a more clear pic

liljeremy089
Newly Registered

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Yeah here in northern Illinios we have got a lot of rain so maybe that's why it turn yellow, or why the bugs are coming. The second picture is the inside of the container above the dirt where the little yellow bugs are (camera wont let me focus in any better). I will let the dirt dry out before watering again and go from there. Thank you for your help!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I don't know that I would change anything.... Right now your plant looks really healthy! It's blossom drop. It's probably not due to anything you're doing, although you'll want to make sure that the top inch or so is dry before watering. As it is, your plant IS NOT showing signs of over watering. There's no yellowing of the leaves.

How big is that pot?

Those bugs could be predatory mites, and until you can provide a great picture, it's hard to say yay or nay. Are they on the leaves of your plants? Can you see any damage to the plant leaves?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are your bugs really tiny, like pinhead size? If so they might be springtails, which are very common and pretty harmless - feed on fungus and decaying matter in the soil.

https://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05602.html

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”