greenblossom
Newly Registered

save the sunflowers

Hi I'm having problems with my sunflowers. I've been growing them from around 7 different seed types on the side of my house. Their planted in the ground and get a lot of sun on that side and I'm trying to water them once a day as there's been a heat streak. Haven't water'ed much lately as there's been rain storms rolling through. None are blooming yet so no flowers and no seeds. I'd be really thankful for some advice on how to save them. I've noticed that something been chewing on them? They have lots of little and big holes and tears on them and the lower leaves are yellow and dying. There are also black spots on some of the leaves. There's a really big lily, around chest height, no idea what it is, that beside the sunflowers and except for little white marks on its leaves and a few yellow leaves at the bottom, there's nothing wrong with it. I've haven't seen anything, besides ants, on any of the sunflowers. No bugs nothing, just holes. It's been going on for over a month very very roughly guessing. And is getting worse with more and more holes. I really don't want to use chemical pesticides which is why I'm posting under organic insect and plant disease control. Any advice on why this is happening and what I can do? Thank you for any help you can give.

applestar
Mod

Most likely slugs. Check after dusk or at pre-dawn with flashlight if necessary.

Also try leaving a piece of scrap lumber flat on the on the ground overnight, and turn it over to see if there are any hiding underneath.

Yellowing lower leaves in itself is not unusual.

Don't water every day -- water DEEPLY instead. Sunflowers have very deep roots. Little passing showers and a little water on the surface don't penetrate all the way down to where the deeper roots need the water.

greenblossom
Newly Registered

Thanks I never thought of slugs. Beetles, flys and other winged pest but not slugs. Guess its time to start looking for a way to kill them. Can you recommend any ways in particular? And most likely a idiotic question but should I treat the lily too? I'm assuming the thick leaves are preventing the slugs from feasting on it. But better to be safe than sorry? Thanks again for your help.

imafan26
Mod

Sunflowers take a while to bloom 75-100 days. Depending on the type you get there will be one or more flowers. If you are growing them for their seeds, I am thinking you are growing mammoth which will produce one large head and be done.

I hope you have a few sunflowers, lately even with multiple plants the pollination has not been that great. I have a lot of empty seed cases.

greenblossom
Newly Registered

I'm not growing them for their seeds. Just for their flowers. The side yard isn't really prim planting material so I just thought the sunflowers would like all the sun on the side and I've heard their really easy to grow. Haven't heard of the issues with flowers, I'll keep that in mind. Especially since I'm debating getting some purple or jade sunflower seeds. Though right now the current plants are looking more like Swiss cheese than plants, especially with the younger plants. :( Thanks for the warning and I hope you have better luck with your sunflowers.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”