Laura84

Fennel with ants and aphids!! SOS

Hi,

I'm new in this forum. I would like to ask you about a problem with my fennels. I have aphids on it. Not in the leaves but in bulb and root. They are millions hidden by the ants. I tried to kill them with my fingers, sprayed garlic and cayenne but doesn't work. The ants protect them.

Have you ever had a similar problem? Do you know any solution?

Thank you so much!

Pathfinder
Cool Member

since they are at the bulb, fill a bucket of water, or bring a garden hose and plug it half way with your thumb and water jet the bulb and off they drown

imafan26
Mod

Use ant bait for the ants. Don't worry about the aphids on the fennel. The fennel really isn't bothered by it most of the time as long as the fennel gets enough water and nutrients.

Fennel attracts ladybugs, and ladybugs will lay their eggs on the fennel. The ladybug larvae are ugly; and only a ladybug could love them, but they are voracious eaters of aphids. When the fennel blooms it will provide nectar for the adult ladybugs, parasitic wasps, hover flies, bees, and many other beneficial insects.

Just make sure the fennel is about 10 ft away from other plants. Fennel only gets along with a few plants.
https://www.ladybuglady.com/ladybugweb9.htm

Laura84

Hi,

Thanks for your replies! I didn't have idea that I have to groe fennel away from other plants! Maybe it's part of the problem.
I only have this problem (luckily) with the fennel and not with the rest of plants.
I will continue to keep aphids and ants, at least, under control.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”