Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Squash bug invasion begins

:evil: Every year I painstakingly go over each and every squash, pumpkin, melon and cucumber plant looking for these beasts.
I read in the paper back in the spring that stink bug populations were decimated by the harshness of our winter! I joyously read on about a 90% kill off! Like a kid at Christmas morning, I looked to the sky with a dumb grin on my face and thought, "Squashbugs, too! :-() " The very next day there was a stink bug staring at me while wedged in that really tight spot between the dash and the windshield in my car. Sigh...
I handpick and give them the suds every single day. Even in the rain and lightening, because 1 missed day can hatch hundreds of nymphs.
Tonight I put at least 30 eggs, 10 or so green and black hatchling nymphs and a big fat mamma to the suds. ( and my 2nd and 3rd cucumber beetle.
Lindsay 1 - squash bug 0. They'll eventually try to take over and I'll have to pull plants. In the meantime, hemostats, suds, and neem. ( if it'll stop raining long enough for it to dry.)
Happy hunting!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you are right about the squash bug eggs and while they are still eggs is the time to kill them! But what are all the little spidery looking things?

applestar
Mod

Those are the nymphs. They are susceptible to soapy spray at that stage. :twisted:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I just tap them off into my cup and swirl. I initially try to get the eggs off the plant, but the are ON THERE this year! These were small leaves touching the ground so I just pinched them.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”