Pathfinder
Cool Member

Re: is that a beneficial insect on my eggplant?!

that's why you're a star :) it is just bad luck I don't get any beneficial, I was hoping that green insect was a beneficial but it turned to be a grasshopper, I even collected spiders ( not mites ) but they didn't like it to be in containers under the sun, so they fled after seconds of putting them, also soaking the plants, I don't think that spider webs do like water.

I am going to rinse them now before the sun rises, good thing it is cloudy today !! we're in June !! that will give me sometime to soak them then let them dry.
will report the whitefly causalties.

I read somewhere that the middle east is a native for white flies, hence my tragedy :cry: ...I am confident however, they are able to stun a tomato plant growth.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

alright checked out my tomato, there seem to be none left, same for the peppers, killed only 2 on the eggplant ... rinsed them with clean water, shouldn't dish soap evaporate anyway ?!

I hope they don't return !! fingers crossed !!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, the soap/detergent doesn't evaporate. Just the water evaporates out of it, leaving residue behind.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

The sun came out, leaf burns occurred on 1 tomato for now, none on eggplants or pepper, let's see what will happen at the end of the day.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

do they ever disappear ?! like a life cycle or something ?! ... looks like the battle with the white fly is a long one, when I apply the dishsoap none can be found, when I clean off the residue the next day they return when the plant dries out

applestar
Mod

Did you say you tried yellow sticky traps? I use bright yellow plastic containers, drink cups, or plastic utensils (spoons and knives) slathered with unpetroleum jelly for indoor plants.

But usually. I start by catching spiders in a cup and putting them on the plants to see if they would stay and eat the pests.

(I won't belabor about predators outside anymore. Not helpful I realize, if you don't have any in the garden. )

Pathfinder
Cool Member

every spider I catch is gone the next day, you see, after all it is a bit complex as I have examined, spiders don't like the sun and plants need sun, spiders don't like it when you spray with soapy water not because of the soap but because of the water that destroy their nets.

I still didn't try the yellow trap, but I will it seems dish soap burned leaves. I am pretty much sure that my plant is stunted because of the white flies, all other factors are in spec. The only plant that seem to be working despite the flies are the peppers

The egg plant even though it is healthy ( the leaves are bigger than my hands wide open ) is infested again, after I wiped the first infestation
even though we have a garden, I haven't found any beneficial, here's a pic, tell me if this one is a beneficial, found it on my tomato just now:

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”