Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Re: I got a bad case of slugs.

When you use something that is a benefit to the plants and also gets rid of slugs its a winner. Besides Epson salts are very cheap at wal mart and is actually a good fertilizer. Epson salts are nice to add to your bath water also! Salt dissolves snails and deters them from coming back since they are turned into a liquid!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Found some interesting info while doing a search for myself! Mostly reiteration from these fine tips! Something different though, is the use of coffee! Foliar sprays of coffee is said to be toxic to them when they eat the sprayed foliage! Whatch'all think about that?

Also, a toad crawled over my flip flopped foot tonight and I very nearly died scrambling away. Kidding...but seriously, I'm a long distance runner, and my heart hasn't seen that rate in years. :oops:

Sorry forgot the link:
https://www.slugfence.com/slug_info/body ... ml#enemies
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

14AudreyGardener14
Newly Registered

I've heard a lot about that but I just put a ring of salt around my plant. I haven't seen any bad results. It wasn't harmful to the plants either. Would continuing to do so help or would your method help better?

Lindsaylew82
Mod

I would not put salt in my garden. Ever. I'm just not willing to risk losing my plants. And I don't know how you'd fix it if you used to much. Also I'm sure there is a cumulative effect with repeated use.
I had a HUGE reduction within a week. Just from hand picking. I am planning to try the coffee. I use coffee grounds all over my garden anyway.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

Lindsaylew82
Mod

66 more slugs this morning. :evil:

My initial fear of touching them is has been replaced with rage because they just. keep. showing up! It has driven me to be a bit more aggressive when picking them... :twisted:
I still can't stomach "popping" them. :>
By salt, I mean Table salt.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

applestar
Mod

Lindsaylew82 wrote:
When I started out, I was armed with cynthia_h's tales of glory and pumped to do them maximum damage. I squished the little ones between my fingers without a qualm. Did you know they manage to slime away if you don't apply the correct amount of pressure? Squeeeeze... pop!
Audibly gagged! Y'all are way more gutsy than me!!!! :shock: Ain't no WAY!
:twisted: ...I think you are getting there... :twisted:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Haha! I'm trying! ;) I can't bare hand slugs though. They are really starting to get to me! Not nearly as bad as squash bugs will by the end of the season.

One lonely slug last night. And just a baby! He got the suds. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

erins327

Things that have worked for me:

1) the beer thing worked, but it was minimal. Maybe 10 snugs died a slow drunken death

2) hand picking worked. And then we would usually get a freeze, or a couple 100 degree days (in Texas those could be only a few days apart it seems!) and would dramatically help reduce the problem. And don't want to do it yourself? Hire a neighbors little kid do earn 5 cents for each snail collected! I did that and she came and redeemed her $2.25, and it was the best $2.25 I ever spent!
#foodisfreeyall

Lindsaylew82
Mod

That is a GLORIOUS idea!!!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

imafan26
Mod

Remember if you are using a yeast trap, you need to add a little sugar to very warm water (110 degrees) along with the activated yeast to get it to bloom before you set out the trap.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”