LandLeftBehind
Newly Registered

Plant disease Identification

Hey I'm a bit concerned about what I'm seeing on some of my plants, and I would like advice on what actions to take:

I mixed some Burpee hybrid tomatoes in with my heirlooms just to experiment, but they are showing some worrying symptoms. Could this be gray leaf spot? Or bacterial speck? Should I trash these plants and hope it doesn't infect my heirlooms too much?

Also, I'm not sure what to make of this:

It doesnt look like the common mildews. Any ideas?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The tomato pictures look more like insect damage than disease.

Not sure what is going on in the cucurbit picture.

imafan26
Mod

The plants look a little yellow. It could be 1. over watering 2 not enough nitrogen 3. Insects check under the leaves for aphids and scale. They are out in force this time of the year.

Some of the leaves look like snails were after them. The holes could be flea beetles. The cucurbit lower leaf is brown around the edges and could be fungal. It is easier to take the lower leaf off, mulch and trellis to keep it off the ground as much as possible. In wet, humid weather, you need to spray to prevent fungal disease. Either use 10% milk solution, sulfur, or if it does not get over 80 degrees max, a horticultural oil with baking soda (1 Tablespoon each per gallon of water), or neem works. Spray all susceptible plants. tomatoes, beans, squash, cucurbits, and roses. Fungal disease is easier to prevent and hard to cure.

LandLeftBehind
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:
The cucurbit lower leaf is brown around the edges and could be fungal. It is easier to take the lower leaf off, mulch and trellis to keep it off the ground as much as possible.
So I could remove the infected leaf without damaging the plant too much/ making it susceptible to further infection?

I could hypothetically rip the entire plant out as its growing on one hill with another plant and I figure there will eventually only be room for one.

imafan26
Mod

Yes. Tomatoes especially should have the lower leaves taken off since they are susceptible to fungal disease. Mulching helps prevent splashing as does watering low and slow. I have taken off cucumber leaves before, I try to leave at least two.

LandLeftBehind
Newly Registered

Thanks for the tips ;) Learning as I go...

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”