Susan W
Greener Thumb

Broccoli caterpillars from H

We can deal with the cabbage butterfly/ green caterpillars taking up residence on our cabbage/broccoli. Now, what is this caterpillar taking up condo room in the broccoli crowns?! Gets to about 1". striped, blue with brown and yellow stripes.

I had about 3 crowns doing something, and watching to pick. Then realized they were invaded. I picked, put in bowl of cold salted water. Disgusting! I had given a few starts to my son also in town when I had an overload. He said he was watching to pick and Yowzies! Nasty, He chucked them.

Surely others have these. Do tell
Have fun!
Susan

applestar
Mod

Re: Broccoli caterpillars from H

Cross-striped Cabbageworm :arrow: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/download- ... ubID=FS287

Look for patches of waxy yellow smear -- those are their eggs

I used insect screen cover over the broccoli and cauliflower last year. This year, was thinking I really should take a rotation break from brassica/crucifers, but tried to start some broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and kohlrabi anyway -- had miserable seed germination and seedling failure. ...just as well.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”