Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Never seen so many catapillars tent worms. Tree has 20 webs!

I could not believe how many crawlers all over the ground and chock cherry tree. It looked like a spider web going up the tree all over it. One big cluster looked like several hundred. They were falling all over the ground. I would say 10,000 or more on the one huge 20 foot high tree. All the leaves are almost gone already! Will they hurt anything in the garden? How to get rid of them? I guess the birds do not like them! They were up really high but on the peach tree I sprayed the tip of a long bamboo with raid and stuck it into several webs to kill them!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

applestar
Mod

Re: Never seen so many catapillars tent worms. Tree has 20 w

I hope you stomped all over the ones on the ground :twisted:

For branches I can't reach, I blast the tents open with jet water setting on the garden hose nozzle. Usually I see the birds going after them afterwards. If the tent falls on the ground, then I can deal with them.

I wouldn't recommend using Raid and other chemical poisons because then the predators can't get them or can be affected. I don't often use Bt and definitely not on a big tree because then the spray goes everywhere, and Bt would kill the butterfly larvae that hatch in my butterfly garden.

For branches I can reach, I just clip off the tent and branch (though that may not work with such a severely infested tree). Tightly close in a plastic bag and toss in trash. I guess I would burn them if I could.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Check out these pictures of the tent worms! Impressive.

Tent Caterpillars - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7111.html
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

It rained hard today but not cats and dogs but tent worms. They are everywhere crawling up building all over the ground and no birds are interested!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”