miachvyboy
Newly Registered

Sweet corn disease or pest problem

I just planted my corn seedlings last week here in central florida. After a week of having them in the ground I started noticing holes in the leaves, and it seems to be getting worse. What could it be? I have attached a few pictures.

Thanks,
Stephen
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Re: Sweet corn disease or pest problem

That looks like they were eaten. Try googling for things that eat corn, specifically caterpillars/moths. They are probably active when you are not looking or they are still quite small.

I am sure people here will respond with some suggestions. Sorry, I have no idea what would eat corn specifically.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think probably slugs. Look at the pictures in this article about slugs and corn plants:

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/fieldc ... -slugs.php

You will never see them in the day time, but if you go out late at night with a flashlight you will find them.

Treating your corn plants and the ground around them with diatomaceous earth should take care of the problem, if it is slugs.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, pest, and very likely slugs. Diatomaceous Earth is good medicine for slugs.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

imafan26
Mod

their is some white or grayish bugs in the leaf axils. It may be aphids, another common problem with corn. Insecticidal soap can take care of it now.

I usually don't have a lot of problems with seedlings. What was growing in this space before. Snail and slugs like dark moist places and corn needs a lot of sun.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3

I have problems like that with most of my seedlings that I plant in spring. It's not slugs for me, it's too dry here. I don't know what eats my stuff as soon as it sprouts! If I wait an extra month I don't have the same problem, but I don't like to wait too long to plant things of course. I was thinking of trying diatomaceous earth this year. Question: Is diatomaceous earth harmful to earthworms since they are soft bodied? What else might I use?

imafan26
Mod

diatomaceous earth should not harm earthworms.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”