Gwenivere
Newly Registered

Eco friendly fungus gnat killer

Hi I am wondering if anyone has heard of Beneficial Nematodes? They are tiny little micro organisms that eat fungus gnat larvae! I just watched a greenhouse video on YouTube about them they look awesome!!! I tried H2O2 because that seemed Eco safe but the larvae don't die on contact. (I put some in a glass and added H202 mixed with water and nothing happened). Anyway I want to order the BN but I don't see anyone else mentioning them. Maybe this is a newer gardening tool? Looks easy just water your plants indoor or outdoor with BN mixed into water. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this?

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Windsoryardner posted about the use of beneficial nematodes in their community garden in this topic:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... +nematodes

I hope the link works :? but you can also do the search by entering the words beneficial nematodes and the topic is somewhat near the bottom of the search as it is on a post that started in 2011.

I didn't see anything on using them indoors in the posts however.

Hopefully this helps. :)

imafan26
Mod

I heard of them, but the State of Hawaii quarantine laws will not allow them to be imported.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have heard of beneficial nematodes haven't used them.

Fungus gnats need moisture, so you can usually control them just by letting your plants dry out pretty much between waterings. A little cinnamon added to the water helps too - it is a natural antifungal, that helps control the fungus the gnats live on.

MI Gardner
Newly Registered

I was plagued with these gnats. Here is what is working for me for the second year:

A biological solution

1. Bonide 803 Thuricide BT (Bacillus Thuringiensis) Insect Killer - This thick liquid mixes with water to apply to plants. Within 72 hours the gnats are gone. Reapply in a cycle to prevent them coming back.

2. Bonide Mosquito Beater Water Soluble Pouches. If using a seed propagation system with expanding fiber disks and water in trays with a water conducting mat. Drop one of these granule packets (the packet will dissolve) into the water tray. I did not have any gnats this year.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”