ritchan
Newly Registered

Need help identifying some sort of fungus

At first I didn't really give it much importance, but then it seems some of my newly sprouted thyme has been falling prey to this thing. It looks like small concentrated cobwebs on the soil, right in the middle of this attached image. What is it?
Attachments
IMAG0882s.jpg
IMAG0882s.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 810 times

applestar
Mod

It's hard to see the "cobweb" from the photo though I do see something white.

But from other clues, I think the soil medium is too moisture holding -- I see lots of peat or coco coir but nothing to aid drainage and drying of the medium such as perlite or sand. In particular, thyme prefers better draining mix and I would have mixed 1/4 to 1/3 sand, even though basil (I think?) that is also in the same container could probably manage in here. At the very least, the soil medium need to be allowed to dry a little more before watering.

Also, these seedlings are too pale and stretching for light -- they need stronger light, and they are too crowded together -- they need to be thinned.

What kind of lighting do they get? They may still be salvageable if you thin them (clip off extras with small pointed like embroidery or cuticle scissors) and gently add a layer of sand and potting medium mixed together (1/3 sand) on top to bury the excess hypocotyl (stem between seed and seed leaves... DON'T bury the leaves), then provide more light. Putting a fan on them -- oscillating or personal fan to make the stems sturdier would be a good idea too though not strictly necessary and other ways can be explored.

As soon as they are sturdy enough, they should be separated since basil and thyme require different growing conditions.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree with everything applestar said, [including that I'm not seeing cobwebby stuff], but I would add that when you look at the picture enlarged, some of these look like classic examples of damping off, with some browning and constriction of the base of the stem just above the soil line. Damping off is a fungal condition that young seedlings are very vulnerable to in conditions of too much moisture and not enough air circulation.

It can't be cured, only prevented. The prevention is just what applestar mentioned, make sure your potting mix is well draining, doesn't hold too much moisture, don't over water, add a fan for air circulation. I have found that it helps to add A LITTLE bit of cinnamon (like a pinch in a pitcher of water) to the water you water with. Cinnamon is a natural anti-fungal.

And yes, way too crowded and spindly, like not enough light. Check out the seed starting basics thread at the top of the seed starting section.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”