WireNut45
Newly Registered

black flies?

Just noticed these today! I am in zone 7, the weather is just breaking into fall. Are these bugs a threat?
Attachments
IMG_1611[1].jpg
IMG_1611[1].jpg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 887 times

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I think they are aphids, so yes they are a threat. Insecticidal soap, ladybugs, neem oil all are helpful, as is a strong spray with a water hose.

applestar
Mod

Yep. Looks like aphids to me as well though they are blurry. ...except for that one larger looking one.
Before spraying, make sure ladybug larvae or tiny wasps, etc. beneficial insects are not already at work.

Look for Garden Patrol members like black (and orange) alligator like larvae or yellow egg clusters (ladybug), white single egg on a thread like stalk (green lacewing), or minuscule black wasps with narrow thorax and pointed abdomen which is distinguishable from the black aphids and tan bloated aphid husks with tiny hole (aphid mummy maker) or tiny yellow and brown striped wasp-like (hover flies).

Simply squishing the aphids with fingers is an option as well. If you get these first generations under control, you'll have less to contend with later. Also look for ant activity and try to curtail their ant pasturing efforts. Ants will also defend their aphids from predators.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”