Susan W
Greener Thumb

Itsy bugs in starter pots

I was checking some starts this week that are way over do for something. They're in 4" pots, lots of roots. They are madder plant starts that I thought would be gone by now, and just pushed aside, watered, dappled light. I was checking them this week, knocking out of the pots, in between rains and more water, and the bitty bugs are in there. Light colored, mainly on the bottom.

Thought one. When put in decent large containers or ground, itsy bugs go their way. Thought 2, try to do something. Not raining, laid them out, sprayed the dirt/roots with soap & water spray, also the plastic pots. Tomorrow should be sunny, wash pots, rinse root ball, if still very soggy get in the sun! (before slipping back in pots)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Just a follow up. I had the plantlets under cover, light shade. This evening checked again, no sign of bugs, and edges a bit dry. I put them back in their pots. One pot had the ants, got same treatment, back in its pot.
If there is a message, check your starts now and again. Tip the pot over, hold plant and check the dirt/root system. and sometimes crawly things.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”