gunsmokex
Cool Member

Benefits of dragonflies?

Hello I'm just curious on the benefits of dragon flies in general, I've seen a few lurking around the garden pretty much all of the time. I'm thinking they probably eat bugs but I don't know all that much about them in general. I live by a stream and over the years I've seen some very weird ones from pretty much every color in the spectrum. Red, green, purple, blue, I'll have to try to catch some pictures of them but the ones I've seen around my tomatoes lately are red or more of a rust color and the other ones that I saw were by my corn and they were kind of blue/black with a little bit of white on their wings.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Some of them maybe Damselfly. You can identify them by their wing rest along the body, while Dragonfly wings are out at rest.

Damselfies eat flies, mosquitoes and other small insects.

Dragonflies eat mosquitoes, flies, bees, ants, wasps, and very rarely butterflies

Eric

gunsmokex
Cool Member

Definitely dragonflies then because I haven't seen any of them with their wings resting on their body. Very cool, so they are like the Northern Pike of bugs haha.

applestar
Mod

Their nymphs/larvae live in water and eat mosquito larvae and other critters up to tadpoles and tiny fish.

applestar
Mod

This is pretty awesome. Video is 50 minutes long, so watch when you have the time :wink:

Sky Hunters, The World of the Dragonfly - The Secrets of Nature

https://youtu.be/knlXTU1R_rE

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”