RogueRose
Green Thumb

Friend or Foe?

I planted dill to attract/keep friends around....went out and found some caterpillars on there. I have never seen anything but boring caterpillars in my garden. I was surprised to see some exciting looking ones. What are these guys?

Did attract some foes when I was trying to attract some friends?

applestar
Mod

These are technically "foes" but it depends on your perspective and willingness to manage them.

They are black swallowtail caterpillars in two different instars/phases -- probably 2nd and 3rd. Here's one that is probably at 5th instar and almost ready to make a chrysalis I found on overwintered blooming carrot this morning:

Their larval host plants include carrot, celery, dill, parsley, fennel, parsnip, etc. I share some and move some to extra plants I'm growing for that purpose. I also have growing patches of native flower Golden Alexander (which blooms yellow flower umbels) that they like to eat, and thanks to Marlingrdener who sent me seeds, I started some rue for them as well.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We usually plant some sacrificial dill just so they can munch away. Black Swallowtail caterpillars love it and we don't do much with dill. We call them friends because of the beautiful butterflies they become.

applestar
Mod

Friends for sure. :flower:

But :twisted: if you bother them with a bit of grass or something, they stick out two bright orange horns from their head and release a stinky spray. You might want to try it jut for fun. :twisted: (...or do it when there are little kids around -- you'd have an excuse then :wink: )
-- we had some in a butterfly rearing cage inside the house (picture me picking carrot and dill greens to FEED the caterpillars every day) and one of our cats was batting at it through the mesh. I watched thinking "ooh, she's going to get it...." and the next instant, she jerked away sneezing. :lol:

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Welllllllllllll I don't use dill for anything at all other than to attract pollinators and keep my ladybugs around. They're not going to bother stuff I LIKE like tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, etc, right? Really - my tomatoes are the main thing I'm concerned about and watching like a hawk at this point since I refuse to eat store bought tomatoes. Oh and my corn. As long as they won't bother my corn and tomatoes, they can stay.

Funny - I've never even seen a swallow tail in my garden. I wonder when it snuck in here and lay eggs.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”