Antxiara
Newly Registered

PEST KILLING EVERYTHING!

Hello!

So last year I had the same problem and it killed many of my plants and it was very upsetting. I think they are spider mites but not 100% certain. I tried tons of different ways to control the situation last year but until it got cold they were killing off my plants one by one. And now I have found them once again on my little cherry tree...a survivor from last year.

Here are my questions:
1) What is it?
2) What is a way to prevent these things?
3) How can I kill them now and stop them from spreading to my other plants?

Any information would be wonderful!

Thank you in advance!!!
-Jara
Attachments
1013521_10100564508382776_683347375_n.jpg

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Definitely is spider mites. Insecticidal soap should work, but maintenance is usually an ongoing process. Also, all plant parts must be sprayed, covering both front and back of leaves. Spider mites tend to be so persistent once they get on a plant, that my preference would be to use some kind of systemic pesticide such as Bayer 3 in 1 Disease and Mite Control which is widely available.

imafan26
Mod

Spider mites thrive in dusty dry conditions. Hosing the plants off frequently dislodges them. Bayer mite control does work on mites and other insects but it is systemic so read the label carefully to make sure the plants you are spraying are on the label. Remember, the label is the law.

Once you commit to a spray program, you must keep it up since you will also be killing off all of the beneficial insects that would otherwise keep them in control.

Bayer is not organic.

Hosing off the undersides of the plants with a jet of water helps and needs to be done every time you water.

Baking soda spray will help desiccate them. 1 Tbs baking soda, 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 tsp insecticidal soap (or 1 tsp ultra fine oil can be used only if the day temp does not exceed 85 degrees) put it in a quart sprayer bottle and fill with water. Spray undersides of leaves. You must repeat spraying every 7 days, hosing off the leaves with water every day, until the problem is under control.

The baking soda desiccates the spiders, the alcohol softens the bodies and kills them, insecticidal soap or oil is used mainly as a spreader sticker. Spider mites usually appear in the hot dry weather of summer, so I almost always use soap instead of oil as it will burn plants in the heat of the day.

The recipe can be quadrupled and put in a gallon pump sprayer. It is easier to spray under the leaves with a pump sprayer than a bottle spray. Make only enough to use at one time, and rinse out the sprayer well with clean water, especially if you are using oil, as the oil will clog the sprayer.

Next year plant to attract natural predators. Anything in the parsley family that is blooming, fennel (plant by itself outside of the garden about 20 ft away), dill, caraway,and cilantro. Also ray flowers sunflowers, marigolds, cosmos, zinnias, etc. These plants attract a host of beneficial insects that will control most, but not all of the garden insects. The fennel, marigolds, nasturtiums, and herbs like basil and mint do most of the work in my garden. There is still damage from thrips but it is manageable and I tolerate it. I keep the plants as healthy as I can by feeding and watering regularly. I cut back plants that are heavily infested and bag the residue. I do have to spray for fungal disease, but I only spot treat and I spot treat with alcohol only when I need it. If you commit to natural controls you will need to stop spraying or else you will also kill the beneficial insects.

Spider mites are controlled by predatory mites, and other beneficial insects that will also be killed by even organic sprays.

If your infestation is so intense, it would take a while to do this. But next year think about planting to attract beneficial insects instead of spraying. You have an advantage over me, since winter will solve most of your over wintering problems. I have bugs to contend with all year.

Animal_lover

I am glad I found the recommendation how to deal with spider mites. I have maaaany of them in my hibiscus bush and was worried that I will have to spray it with some insecticide. Will try the mild soap treatment at first. They are nasty.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”