Susan W
Greener Thumb

Johnson Grass

Not quite insect or disease, just a problem invasive! I have a smallish area that got a bit of Johnson Grass, and that bit getting more. In small areas, has anyone here just tried digging it out? The roots are rhizomes and tough, so it can't just be pulled out. There were some 'keeper' plants in the area, but not so much anymore. I am working to make a pathway across, perhaps 10' long. The grass is thick in that area. I have thought to cut it back to ground level, put down cardboad, then wet, and lots of mulch. RoundUp is looking tempting, but spot way too close to lots of good stuff!
Have fun!
Susan

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Re: Johnson Grass

Perhaps no one here has dealt with these big grasses! It is already over 4' tall! When googling, I think Johnson grass in more southern and eastern regions. What I have may not be that, but similar. I did check with son who is here, and he agreed, may not by the J G, but needs to go! He sprayed some Round up on a paper towel and wiped many of the leaves.

Yes, I have a gal jug of premixed, R-U, poison ivy strength with its own pump sprayer. That jug lasts forever, but as I saw poison ivy in the hedge when trimming may get used up!
Have fun!
Susan

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”