WatchMeShove

My Pitcher Plant is dying. :(

Are the carnivorous cups seasonal? Because they're all dying but the plant looks healthy otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_9437 (4).jpg
IMG_9437 (4).jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
IMG_9436 (1).jpg

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I am not an expert on pitcher plants, but found a simple article. Says from May to October they should be given lots of water, and should be distilled and aerated water. It says you can even keep them in standing water, and you should be filling the "pitchers" with 1/2 in to 3/4 in with water. And have you been feeding it insects? I'm posting the link to the article I was looking at. I hope it helps! I have not been brave enough to try keeping a carnivorous plant. I'm a chicken, LOL

https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Pitcher-Plants

applestar
Mod

They are fascinating looking, but I haven't had the courage to try to grow hanging pitcher plants either. People seem to go to extraordinary efforts to grow them at home, and it's a hobby of its own. Especially due to the "hanging" nature, you seem to need not only a humid, daytime/nighttime temp controlled grow area but a grow room with hanging space... Or temperature controlled outside greenhouse (can't get too hot or too cold).

I've spent good many hours surfing youtube videos of affictionados. :roll: :wink:

I only have Serracena purpurea, which is native to my area and can be grown outside in the ground. They live in bogs so I put it in my rain garden, and only thing I do for it is to water with de-chlorinated water if there is drought and no water is coming down the rain spout. I've been told that if it may not live for more than a couple of years since it needs nutrient starved condition of a bog, but it seems to be doing OK so far and comes back every spring after the pitchers have died in the winter.

Sorry I can't help with your plant.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I was reluctant to post, but then saw nobody else was posting or even trying to answer your question. I wish I knew more about them to help. :(

applestar
Mod

I think we ARE helping or at least trying to help by pointing out the cultural needs for this plant as we know it. The question now is are those needs being met?

As far as I know summer is their growing season so unless the OP is in the southern hemisphere where it is winter, the plants should not be declining.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I think we ARE helping or at least trying to help by pointing out the cultural needs for this plant as we know it. The question now is are those needs being met?

As far as I know summer is their growing season so unless the OP is in the southern hemisphere where it is winter, the plants should not be declining.
Her location says Marin county CA, so that is a few hours north of me. So her plant should be thriving. I was reading about it being in and inch of standing water between the months May and October. I was surprised how much water they need.

applestar
Mod

Here's my neglected pitcher plant with new pitchers and a flower (which is kind of hidden under one of blue lobelia)

Did you figure out what's wrong? Has your plant recovered?

imafan26
Mod

Well, I have grown neopentes before, but I grew them outside on the ground. The pitchers should always have some water in them or they will dry out. You could catch a fly for them and put them in the pitcher, but be careful, they really don't like fertilizer and should only be fertilized with a very weak solution of water soluble fertilizer, if any.

The pitchers do eventually dry out and fall off the plant, that is normal. Since I never really paid attention to mine, I don't remember when that happens. What is happening to your plant may be very well a normal part of the life cycle. As long as the central core of the leaves look good, I would be inclined to think that the pitchers are just doing their thing.

https://www.pitcherplant.com/care_sheets ... _care.html

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”