veggiefan

Grey dust on a cucumbers leaves-is it powdery mildew

Hi, guys! I just noticed a grey dust or smth on the cucumbers and squashes leaves when I look at them at some angle. Do you think it is a powdery mildew? I put the cucumbers in the last 2 days in the ground and it just happened today in the morning and I it is still there. I attach the photos. Thank you. :)
Attachments
IMG_7181.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My first thought just reading your title was "yes," just because cucumbers are very susceptible to powdery mildew and it does look kind of like greyish white powder.

But I'm not seeing it on your plant at all. If it were powdery mildew, you would be able to see it at every angle. You may just be getting some light reflection. There is a natural white sheen on the leaves from the fuzziness.

But, since squashes and cucumbers are so prone to powdery mildew, it wouldn't hurt to start spraying it any way. PM is easier prevented than treated. Diluted milk, compost tea, baking soda solution are good preventatives, sprayed on the leaves, including undersides (but only one at a time).

powdery mildew

https://www.mastergardeners.org/images/I ... ash_lg.jpg

The powdery mildew will appear as definite dots, not just a sheen.

Incidentally your soil is looking kind of hard and dry and the plant a little wilty. Water & mulch! :)

veggiefan

Thank you. The dry soil on the top is a compost. Now I don't have to worry-at least the plants are good. :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”