Health Nut
Newly Registered

Organic marigolds??

Hi All,

I just stumbled upon this site while searching for some answers to my newbie questions... This is my first year doing a garden much less an organic one. I have a plan ready for my plants which includes marigolds. I plan on getting them in the soil this weekend but I am wondering if planting non organic marigolds with my organic veggies/herbs is ok. After being so careful with what I put into the beds I would hate to have residual pesticides getting into my soil from the marigolds but I know what a benefit marigolds can be with pests.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Traci

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

Re: Organic marigolds??

here's a flash of reality from a 50+ year organic type....
you are not required to believe or agree.

"organic seeds" are bunk.

doing things organically entails husbanding the soil and avoiding chemical pesticides / garden products.
specifically chemicals which basically "kill everything and let God sort out the bad bugs"

a marigold grown in the least organic method sets seed. at most there is a surface coating on those seeds of all the nastiest chemicals in the universe. how much of that "horrifically contaminated" seed coating survives seed maturation, or storage time last season to now, is hugely debatable.

a non-organic seeds / plants are not inherently poisonous.
the existence of hybrids / GM crops / etc is actually not related to the organic gardening approach.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

If you are going for certified organic, answer is No, and you would already have that in place. For regular home garden, organic (mostly), just plant them! Presuming these are greenhouse grown plant starts, may or may not have pesticide. Yes, there's non-organic fertilizer in that bit of dirt. Will it mess up your garden? No! (I am not meaning to be smart-mouthed or snarky, pardon if it comes across that way.)

Now, as you are a new gardener, you are on a learning curve (I am after many years, and hopefully the learning never quits). Each season you can work closer to your personal goals in the garden, and that is most rewarding and commendable.
Have fun!
Susan

Health Nut
Newly Registered

I appreciate both of your comments. Dillbert.. I assumed that someone reading the post would know what I meant by "organic" I should not have assumed. Susan, I am so excited to learn this year. I am hopeful that I will harvest something but even if I don't put a piece to my mouth, I am sure I will learn so much. Thank you for your advice!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

FYI French marigolds are considered a trap plant for root knot nematodes. They have to be planted densley in order to be effective. You do have to monitor closely because the nematodes will quickly infest the marigolds. If they are not removed and replaced then the nematodes will move to your vegetable palnts.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_gard ... garden.htm

Scroll down to trap plants for specifics.

Good luck.

BTW I would not be overly concerned about planting flowers in your garden. The department of agriculture strictly regulates the types of chemicals used on nursery plants (been there done that). Any chemicals will be in small amounts and will not be detremental to your garden. When I grew bedding plants for my landscaping business the only chemicals used were fertilizers - water soluble. Having dealt with many wholesale growers fertilizer versus other chemicals is the rule of thumb. There may be some plants (generally not bedding plants) that require other chemicals when growing for wholesale or retail production. I think you would be surprised at how few chemicals are used in wholesale growing. Chemicals are expensive. Chemicals are harmful to employees. Reputable growers avoid chemical as much as possible. As long as nursery stock is not being destroyed by an insect infestation growers just leave them alone.

Before you say that I do not know what I am talking about let me tell you that I do. I was in the landscaping business long enough to know my growers and develop a relationship with them. Chemicals are an unwanted expense. Just good business.

Any way don't worry about planting nursery/store bought flowers. The strongest chemical you may get will be slow release fertilizer mixed in the soil.

Sorry - guess I went on and on a little too much
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Health Nut
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for all the advice, Elizabeth! I greatly appreciate it! There is so much that I do not know and you have answered a few questions for me.. :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”