evarector1
Newly Registered

Attracting frogs/toads

My containers are located in an alley between my house and my neighbor's; there is a row of hedges, but no grass or vegetation in the immediate area that would be attractive to frogs and toads. I would really love to draw some in, and I'm thinking about trying to create an artificial oasis-a large, shallow container planted with some sort of grass and equipped with a "frog house". Has anyone else tried this, and if so, did it work?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The toads need a place to hide during the day, but what they really care about is bugs. Place a bug attracting light in the alley, and the toads will come. I see more toads inside my concreted garage than I do outside. That is probably because so many bugs are attracted to the light around the back door.

I think your idea of a shallow container, with a 'toad house' dark cavity will be helpful in keeping the toads in the area both day and night.

evarector1
Newly Registered

What kind of a light would you recommend? We have an outside light up on the corner of the roof, right over my plants; would that work, or would I need to hang something lower? If I remember correctly, frogs like to catch their own food, so I'm thinking that a "bug zapper" light would defeat the purpose?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Any kind of ordinary light that attracts bugs. The one at that is in place would attract lots of bugs if left on during evening hours. I would think that even the low voltage, solar yard and garden lights would also attract flying insects, perhaps drawing more of them to within the frog's reach. I'm just saying that if you attract insects to the area, the frogs will come. If the frogs have a secretive place to stay, then they will be more likely to stay in the area 24/7.

evarector1
Newly Registered

I gotcha-thanks for your help! :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”