blueberrybecca
Newly Registered

Help my Hibiscus!!

Hi! I need a little advice about my hibiscus plants. Just 2 months ago they were beautiful and full of life. Now the leaves are all turning yellow and they seem to be dieing rapidly. I don't see any sort of bugs. I'm sure they're not getting enough sun, but all of my windows are very drafty so I can't put them near any windows. Here are a couple of pictures .Any ideas? Thanks so much.
https://pinterest.com/pin/381046818442027392/

https://pinterest.com/pin/381046818442027417/

imafan26
Mod

Hi
Hibiscus does not like being stressed. If the plant's environment was changed especially to a different light like going from being outdoors to indoors or from a greenhouse to a house, the plant will go dormant and look a lot like yours with yellowing leaves that fall off. It will also need a lot less water when it is dormant.

Cut off the yellow leaves, back off on the watering until the soil is dry inch or an inch and a half down.

Check to see if it needs re potting by gently lifting it out of the pot. If it needs re potting, put a drainage layer of stones at the bottom of the pot. Do not let the pot sit in a saucer of water. Use pot legs or pebbles in the tray and do not let water rise to touch the bottom of the pot.

Supplement with artificial light. As long as the stem of the hibiscus remains firm even a bare stemmed hibiscus will come back.

Air circulation: a small gentle fan will work.

https://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

blueberrybecca
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for the information! I just looked a little closer and the soil on both plants is completely infested with tiny white bugs. They are way too small to get a picture but they have completely white bodies, they almost look like tiny grains of rice. I see nothing strange on the plants themselves, just in the dirt. Do you have any idea what these might be?

imafan26
Mod

When plants are stressed, they are magnets for insects and disease. Below is a link that is pretty comprehensive for disease problems.

First, take a good look at the leaves of the plant top and bottom. When they are weak, mites, mealy bugs, white fly just find them. Try to hose or wipe off the leaves once a week if you can to clean them of dust and critters. It is best to do this outside, but if that is not possible a deep sink or tub will work.

The stems and roots of the plants should not be black and soft.
When the leaves grow back they should be medium green and not soft. If they are dark green and soft they need more light, put the light source closer for 14-16 hours a day. They need to have a rest period from the light. Turn your plant so it does not lean toward the light.

It is hard to get enough air circulation in a house, and the plants need less water because, they are growing less actively and there is no sun, wind or air to evaporate the water off the soil. (That is why a fan helps). If the soil stays wet for a prolonged time, then soil molds and fungus can grow on the soil surface. It does not always hurt the plant directly. It is a sign that the pot is staying too wet for too long.

If your white bugs on the soil don't move they are probably some type of fungus or mold. Like tiny mushrooms on the soil. They can be broken up by using a fork to loosen and break up the soil. If the root ball is compacted, re pot and watch the watering. Water the plant in the sink. Try to dry it on a rack before putting it back in place. Avoid using saucers if you can because they keep the pots wet.

A lot of the time it is just finding the right place to keep the plant. Sometimes a rack is better than a saucer in the living room. A shop light or under cabinet light suspended over the plant about 8-10 inches for 10-14 hours works better than indirect light from a window from one side. A fan to circulate air around the plants would simulate natural breezes.

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/pp744.pdf

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”