Garf
Green Thumb

First Slug of the Year

I found the first slug of the year crawling up the wall of my house. I made short work of him. After killing off around 25 snails, I seem to have run out of them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:?:

First slug of what year? Could it really be your first slug of 2012 here in December? Are you thinking it is 2013 already? :)

Garf
Green Thumb

I don't get many slugs here, just snails.

Garf
Green Thumb

Just found another snail, A big one. It splattered nicely.

Aida

Oh, the poor things! :(

I'm sure you'll be glad I tell you this- snails and slugs LOVE the dead remains of their friends, and squishing them in your garden only attracts more.

Instead, try laying a wood or plastic board at an angle, so they stick to it's underside for shade during the warm day. Then you can peel them off and let them out away from your garden.

Also, if your veggie garden is being destroyed, and it's only a patch, try putting strips of sandpaper around it- they hate crawling against that.

Hope I helped! :3

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ducks

Eric

imafan26
Mod

I'd get a hen but she'd go after the seedlings too. What else eats slugs?
Around here the saying is for every slug or snail you find, there are at least a hundred in hiding. :cry:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I do not have ducks or chickens (I wish I did) so for slug control I put out pie pans of beer and put crushed clean egg shells in the garden. Slugs are sots and love beer. Thsy actually love the yeast. They crawl into the pans and drown in the beer. Use cheep beer. The crushed egg shells keeps them from crawling over the ground because it cuts them. I use the combination to keep them out of my garden. Works. The nasty buggers show up on the patio so I put out pans of beer for them. It takes a few days but after that I have no slugs.

My 2 cents. Good luck

LyndaCole
Newly Registered

a friend uses cheap beer but adds yeast, the slug can sleep off the hang over from the beer if only a small amount but not with the addition of the yeast. She digs down in the dirt and partially submerges a can with the beer and yeast then covers it with a rock so dogs don't get into it.

imafan26
Mod

I put out bait for the slugs, but I have to keep changing it. I just go out with a baggie if I am out in the early morning and pick them up. If I have my clippers I do slice and squash them. I find them inside my pots when I am transplanting too. They are everywhere.

erins327

Oh my-- so I'm not the only one!!

I am not exaggerating, I pulled about 100 off my lettuces this morning. We got light rains last night so everything is still nice and wet so they stayed out so that I could finally see them!

We use Sluggo but that has minimal effects it seems like.
I'm going to try the beer thing! Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Diatomaceous earth and crunched up eggshells.

Gillybby

I've been going on late-night snail hunts these last few nights.
I usually just pick them up and toss them as far as I can away from the property.
Does anyone know how far snails can travel? I hope they don't come back. My poor sunflower seedlings have been decimated by the little buggers!
I spread a whole lot of those organic/friendly snail pellets that they're supposed to adore, but I found one the other night that had completely ignored all the pellets and started munching on another seedling!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”