Moonshadow

Cabbage worms and other broccoli pests

I searched this section for info on cabbage worms, but I only found one thread.... It mentioned covering the plants with netting. What size netting should be used for that?

I read that herbs such as rosemary, dill, and sage will help repel broccoli pests. Has anyone had any luck with this? Will clippings scattered around the plant work as well as interplanting them?

Tonio
Green Thumb

Row covers. Look for the size that would work with your plantings
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_I_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=row+covers+for+garden&sprefix=row+covers%2Caps%2C256

Or tulle (?) bridal fabric is more like netting.

Moonshadow

I'm actually planting in containers, so I have no rows to cover. I was going to try to make little covers for each of my buckets.

applestar
Mod

I'd go with drawstring bags over useless-for-tomato supports made of tulle or sheer fabric. If you are allergic to sewing, large doormroom laundry bags might work as well and should be available everywhere right now. :wink:

Moonshadow

I was a seamstress for a few years. I'm not allergic to it, but I sure hate doing it now! :P But a drawstring bag is nothing like hemming a prom dress. I think I can manage that.

Thanks for the idea. :D

tomc
Super Green Thumb

BT, Baccilus Thurengesis will also work on cabbage looper larvæ.

And is on the aproved list for organic intervention.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”