NotSoGreenThumbs
Newly Registered

Need help with corn and bush beans

I'm hoping maybe someone here can help!

Last year and this year I had the same problem with my sweet corn. I get thousands of ants living at the base of the ears, tucked in between the outer leaves the husk and the ear. It looks like dirt gets in there as well, but the entire stalk is just teeming with ants. Last year I thought it was because there was an ant hill right next to it. But I got rid of the hill and had the same problem this year.

I just ripped out my stalks today. The husks are sad looking, slightly brown, and the ears are small. When I take all of the husks off, only about half (maybe, sometimes less} of the cob has kernels on it. the top of the cob that is sans kernels is really soft and flexible.

I'm not sure how to remedy this.

As for my bush beans, I think they're pretty much done. But I've noticed the last few beans have a rust colored spotting on them. Is this a fungus of some sort? If so, should I bother fighting it since the bush is basically done?

<edit> The rust coloring is on the pods, not the plant
Thanks for any input!

applestar
Mod

The corn isn't getting fully pollinated. That's why the ear isn't full to the top. To me, the presence of ants suggests that you had aphid infestation on the silks. (each individual silk needs to be pollinated to become a corn kernel).

Also, how big patch of corn are you growing? If you are only growing a small number in a backyard garden, you may need to help pollinate since corn normally relies on wind to carry pollen from the tassels to the silks.

As for bush beans, the spotting could be due to sucking insects. I start to see the same thing when stink bugs start to invade.... :x

NotSoGreenThumbs
Newly Registered

Yeah its a small backyard garden. I had 6 stalks planted in two rows. I made a habit of shaking them to help pollinate, but I didn't realize each piece of silk had to get covered, wow! So I'm guessing I probably shook too early and the silk wasn't out enough yet.

Thanks for that BIG tip!! :lol:

Now I just have to redo my netting to keep all the new baby peafowl from sneaking in and eating my tomatoes. I built a nice pen but forgot to take into account that while the adults are now stymied, the chicks are able to squeeze in and have a buffet meal :evil:

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”