Susan W
Greener Thumb

Gourmet bugs

As some know, I grow a variety of different herbs, mostly containers, some raised beds. We have been told by the 'experts' bugs don't mess with herbs much'. Well, let me tell you, I have the gourmet variety!

I am trying to zero in on the munchers, and which pots to check daily. Caterpillar, when I see it 1/2 -1" long brownish with light yellow/tan strips down back/side. Makes a webby thing at end of stem. It likes thyme, oregano, and savory. I just got 2 new healthy looking thyme starts, 5" round pots. Then noticed visitors. I will keep them as is, check-recheck before up potting. I had some issues with some other thyme plants, and now more vigilant in checking. Savory? The oregano has been hit with something(s). Some internal or very small leaving white spots, and some with the webby thing at end of sprig.

Mints! The peppermint hit especially hard. I cut back, soap spray, pyrethran spray, cut back etc. I found a new one today wanting its mint drink on the vine. I had bought some KY Col mint starts, looked great, planted, all is well, Did my AM check, saw holes, Checked leaves and Bingo, tiny newly hatched little green caterpillars. I think I mentioned the aphids on another mint grouping, spotted by noticing the ants.

Yes, I have gourmet munchers.

applestar
Mod

How frustrating for you. :(. Bad bugs! Baaad bugs! :x

Susan, I'm still just starting to experiment with this product, but I wonder if Surround wp kaolin clay spray coating would help.

I think you would use it on stock that you would not harvest from for a while, not because of toxicity, but because I found it difficult to wash off of APPLES -- and I was scrubbing with a nylon brush! So I'm thinking you would want it to naturally wear off prior to harvesting.

Also since these are herbs and not need insect pollination, etc. you could put a screen enclosure/cover over them? If you want to test this idea, one option is to try with pop open umbrella type picnic/BBQ food protectors. I usually see them in household/kitchen gadget catalogs like Solutions, Improvements, Whatever Works, etc. But for larger areas, you could get prefab low tunnels covered with insect netting -- I've seen them at Gardener's Supply (larger tunnels as well as fancy pop up raised bed covers), Pine Tree Gardens, Jung Seeds (narrower and lower height tunnels) OR make your own more cost-effectively.

What do you think?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for suggestions, Apple.
I have narrowed down the green caterpillars on the mint to be green inch worms. I am doing a 1 -2/ day picking off a couple each time. These can also be found on basil and other flavorful salad bars. Grrrh!!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”