redodson
Newly Registered

White sticky eggs on my Jasmine plant

Hi,
Apologies if this has been answered, I looked but didn't find anything. I've got hundreds of white, sticky eggs on my Jasmine plant. From a distance they look like white rice. I'm afraid they will hatch and start eating the leaves. does anyone have ideas or suggestions? Thanks for your input.

Ruth

Unikorn

have you tried looking up mealy bugs?

applestar
Mod

Try washing them off with sprays of water from garden hose or kitchen sink/utility tub, etc. Try rubbing off gently while you spray. If they won't come off, mix a solution of a dribble of Dr. Bronners liquid soap -- any kind will do but I tend to use peppermint or unscented -- in one pint, or one squirt in one quart of water in a hand sprayer. Spray the plant all over, rub off the eggs (if that's what they are) then rinse thoroughly with plain water.

After all this the plant will be overwatered, so make sure excess water drains thoroughly and don't water again too quickly.

Repeat the soapy solution and thorough rinse in a week to make sure. (that's probably when it'll need to be watered again unless it's very hot where you are).

If they ARE mealy bugs as suggested by unikorn, the soapy solution won't be enough to get them off except the young. Then my usual method is to touch each one with a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol.

Unikorn

I found mealy bugs on my cactus today, and washed with soapy water and sprayed organicide, I also replaced the soil that was in that pot because a certain type of mealy bug can live in the soil by the roots of the plant.

redodson
Newly Registered

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. They do look similar to mealybug eggs. I tried spraying them, but that didn't work so I wiped each one off with soapy paper towels. That took forever! They I sprayed them. I'll let you know if it works. Again, I appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”