Kris Johnson
Newly Registered

Pole Bean problem

Any suggestions what could be taking out pole beans that have climbed up two feet on their support and then suddenly are cut off about 3 inches above the ground? I've put out slug traps with beer and that doesn't seem to be the problem. There are rabbits around, but I've had some wire protection around the beans, and I don't know why they would cut the stem and then leave the vine hanging to wilt and diet. The has happened to 4 of my pole been seedlings now. :(

Koshercookie
Newly Registered

where r u from, I mean what part of the country? depending on what part you r in the problem could be a grub problem. Japanese beetle or cornborer, they will cut down a plant in a fast hurry. sometimes I have heard nemotoads can disintegrate roots. the best thing to do is check your evidence.

Kris Johnson
Newly Registered

I'm in northwest Ohio. No sign of jap. beetles. Grubs unlikely, as the part of the plant that remains is growing quite well and they work on the roots. This doesn't look like corn borer damage. It's kind of like something took a clipper and cut the stem. Today I noticed that the stem of one remaining plant has been cut about 3/4 of the way thru, but it's managing to grow with nutrients coming up through the remaining 1/4 of the stem. Really puzzling!

Koshercookie wrote:where r u from, I mean what part of the country? depending on what part you r in the problem could be a grub problem. Japanese beetle or cornborer, they will cut down a plant in a fast hurry. sometimes I have heard nemotoads can disintegrate roots. the best thing to do is check your evidence.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Could you post some photos for us? Seeing the actual damage can be very helpful in determining what caused it. :)

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Posting Pictures & Photos[/url]

Kris Johnson
Newly Registered

I'll try - this is the vine that is partially cut and still growing
[url]https://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p588/CKrisJohnson/beandamage5C.jpg[/url]

This is a nipped off plant that is starting to grow a new branch
[url]https://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p588/CKrisJohnson/beandamage1c.jpg[/url]
</center>

Actually I got the pictures in the wrong order, so first one is trying to grow a new branch. Second one is only partially cut and has climbed about 3 feet.

Sue Sanders
Newly Registered

I am having a simular problem with my plants, mostly the snow peas but now they've gotten the camomile also.

About 2" above ground something has snipped or chewed through the stem of each plant. The leaves below the cut had small holes in them the leaves above the cut were untouched.

I looked for rabbits or chickens in the garden but found nothing.

The camomile I dug up washed off the roots and gave to the neighbor.
Whatever finished eating the rest of the plants, the tops I gave to the chickens.

:(

I would appreciate any view anyone has on this...my garden has been one of my favorite places to be but this year, not so much. :roll:

Kris Johnson
Newly Registered

I haven't seen grasshoppers around. I suspect something like a mouse or vole reaching up to bite off the stem and suck some juices. It's at the end of a stretch of bean plants. Another was cut off the other day. Fortunately I have lots of beans from other plants, though not that variety. The hot dry weather has be tough!

polebean
Newly Registered

In Alaska the problem was voles that were snipping the plants off like you describe. The solution I found was to cut the bottom out of a clear plastic cup. Put over the seedling when it first comes up and leave it there throughout the growing season. I haven't had a problem since. I also aggressively set mouse trap by their tunnels. Just make sure you cover them so the birds don't get into them.

JJM
Newly Registered

Similar problem here in SE Texas in mid May. Very healthy bush, pole and yard long beans have been producing pretty good. Pole & Yard Long vines are/were 8 feet high and 1st to get attacked. Looks as if stem is 90% cut clean through and then remainder shredded. Majority of damage is 6 and 7 feet high.
Now the bush beans are attacked same way but here I found as if someone had whittled out most of the stem in a 2 inch section. Most bush bean damage is more than 6 inch above the soil.
Already have Marigolds and Basil growing in the patch. Hate to use chemicals but looking like I need to pull all immature beans and apply pesticide. Also set some rat and mouse traps??

imafan26
Mod

Around this time all kinds of moths and beetles start to emerge. I am guessing but it might be one of the vine boring moth larvae.
I also have problems with birds going after the pods and bean tips. My solution is to net. It has to be done early and the net needs to go all the way to the ground. It makes it a pain to harvest since everything has to be undone and resealed. I have had some success with cutworms by mulching. If there is not bare ground near the plants the moth doesn't really have a good place to lay the egg. I plant in large pots and I cut up the potting soil bag and use it as a mulch to conserve water, keep weeds out and control splashing on tomatoes. It also seems to work pretty well in keeping the grubs out of the soil too. unlike other mulches, I can get the plastic bag very close to the stem without damage.

Of course, it might also be that my geckos are doing their job at eating the grubs, beetles, and butterflies that come into my garden. I did see a fiery skipper and monarch in the yard, but no caterpillars. No cabbage moths came by this year, but I don't have kale or broccoli this year. I do have a blooming butterfly bush, which I have to keep disbudding to stop attracting them.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... -beans.htm

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”