lily51
Greener Thumb

How to control grubs?

There are a lot of Japanese beetles this year attacking all sorts of plants. We've really never had such an invasion.
What is an effective way to control the grub stage so next year we don't have the adults? I've read on several methods but have. It tried any.
Any first hand information would be greatly appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

milky spore. It's a disease that attacks them. You can buy the spores as a powder that you dig in to your soil. It is quite effective and the spores multiply and stay active in the soil for years.

Since the adult beetles fly, it is really helpful if you can convince your neighbors to use the milky spore as well.

In the meantime, for the adults, it really helps to have a trap crop for them. They love grape vines, especially when flowering. I have wild grape vine that comes up as a weed. When that flowers, the JB's just hang out there and don't bother the rest of my garden. Since it's a weed, I just let them have it.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the ideas. Where can you purchase milky spore? This is for my raised beds, so it should be easy to apply.
Do you see results by the next year or does it take a while?
Wonder if the mild winter we all loved led to the garden challenges we're seeing now!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Any garden store

Yes

Yes

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thnx

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”