SPierce
Greener Thumb

Squash it or Save it?

Just went outside to do a regular potato beetle smooshing session on my potato plants, and just noticed this guy:

[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Bug.jpg[/img]

I remember seeing it on this forum before, but I don't remember if it's good or bad? Yes, there a holes in the leaves of the plants, but none of them were really where this guy was sitting, I've got a mass influx of slugs that I'm killing as we go and so on, so I'm just not sure!

Thanks ;D

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I think that is a ladybug larva

SPierce
Greener Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:I think that is a ladybug larva
OH! awesome. I like ladybugs!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah you definitely want them around.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:Yeah you definitely want them around.
I feel like such a dork for not realizing it was a lady bug, though, but I'm happy to see it around ;D

applestar
Mod

A little while ago, I found one of my okra starts I planted in the ground looked odd. When I looked at it closely, I realized underside of one leaf was covered with aphids, so I went to an area where I knew there was a bunch of ladybug adults, larvae, and pupae and transferred just one larva to the top of the aphid infested okra leaf.

The little guy immediately crawled to the edge of the leaf and went underneath, so satisfied that it would find the aphids, I left.

Two days later, I turned over the leaf and the aphids were completely gone.:D

They do good work. :wink:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:A little while ago, I found one of my okra starts I planted in the ground looked odd. When I looked at it closely, I realized underside of one leaf was covered with aphids, so I went to an area where I knew there was a bunch of ladybug adults, larvae, and pupae and transferred just one larva to the top of the aphid infested okra leaf.

The little guy immediately crawled to the edge of the leaf and went underneath, so satisfied that it would find the aphids, I left.

Two days later, I turned over the leaf and the aphids were completely gone.:D

They do good work. :wink:
Ohh, that's a lovely idea! There are some iffy little green guys on one of my pepper plants... not sure what they are, but might move that peppers pot a bit closer to the potato when I found the ladybug!

Tonio
Green Thumb

Last week during water and pest hunt chores, I noticed a ladybug larva on the edge of a terra cotta pot w/ sage.

It was just running around the pot- in circles. To my amazement wondering why the lady bug would do such a thing, I gave it a nudge and it moved on the nearby rosemary and started to work.

Was it telling me it was done working the sage plant? :lol:

On another note, I learned a month ago that sage & rosemary are good companion plants.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”