Patrol_4x4

Some questions about homemade insecticides...

Hi all,
I have been using a homemade insecticide with garlic, onion and dishwasher. Everyone keeps on saying that some are not good because of the components and give examples of good ones to use (like the so called IVORY).
The thing is that I live in australia and I don't know which soap is a good one to use. I've tried to avoid the concentrated ones, but then I have another with aloe vera extract, and sometimes it looks like some leaves get a bit burnt after having used it.

Another thing, does this mixture work when it gets more than 2 weeks old?

Does it work with caterpillars or some kind of larvae? Because I have thoroughly sprayed and rubned the inner part of the leaves with it, and I still got some evil chewers...mi am oretty sure it doesn't work with slugs or snails which is my next challenge.

Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your homemade insecticide will work better if you put some hot pepper in with the onion and garlic. The soap thing is that detergent is synthetic, soap is organic. Most dishwashing liquids in my country are detergents, which can burn your plants. You want some kind of pure soap.

But no, it won't work on caterpillars or slugs. Both of those are susceptible to diatomaceous earth.

Patrol_4x4

How do I know that the dishwasher does not have detergent? Is there any substance that I should look at in the composition?

What if I use shower gel? Although mine says it doesn't have soap... :?

What about some soap bar that I use as a handwash? Would that be better?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes bar soap is soap. Dishwashing liquid is not unless it says pure soap on it. You can take shaving of bar soap and shake them up in water.

But as I said, this is effective against aphids and other soft bodied insects. It works against beetles and such IF you can pick them off and drown them in a bowl of it, but not just sprayed on them. It doesn't work on caterpillars and slugs.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”