Susan W
Greener Thumb

Basil Beetles

We are all familiar with the common eaters, but this is new to me. This is a beetle, yes hard shelled, perhaps 1/4" at best, very round. dk brown. I noticed 'dirty' areas around some new growth of basil. As it didn't just wash off, checked again. A Beetle! As I am being more watchful, checking 2-3/day. They are in just one area, so far, but I am perplexed. I can find the beastie and destroy it, but know it has babies not far behind.

Sorry, don't have pics, but anyone with beetles on basil may have a clue!
Have fun!
Susan

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I mentioned my basil visitors to a couple of fellow farmers market vendors and had told them to watch for new growth on basil and if it looks 'dirty'. Yesterday I had a couple of these beetles in a baggie with damaged basil leaves. One farmer couple said Voila! We have them also! The beetle shell is dark brown.bronzy, especially when in the sun. I did try to gift my beetles to another couple so as they wouldn't be left out. They politely declined my offer.
For now I am trying to be vigilant and hand pick off the critters. I may try a pyrethrin spray on a couple of targeted plants.
Have fun!
Susan

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”