GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Corn pest, PLEASE HELP!

I don't know what is hitting my corn, but it is unbelievably frustrating. I have planted seed twice now, and both times something (probably squirrels or birds) dug up every last one of my seeds. So in the interest of not getting too late in the season, I planted a couple hundred seeds in seed starting trays. Today I planted them in the corn bed and something has pulled up about a dozen of the seedlings. Clearly something is just tugging on them and then leaving them lay. Some are broken off right at ground level, others were pulled up roots and all. The frustrating thing is when they are pulled up, the perfectly in tact seedling is laying right there next to where it was pulled! What the hell is the purpose of that?!? Its not even eating the plants or the kernel!

I have enough seedlings to fill in for the ones that were uprooted, but this can't continue. I am considering placing chicken wire about 6" above the ground and curving it down to the ground on the sides in case its a cat or squirrel. I saw 2 slugs in the bed tonight, but they looked like they were just munching on one that was already knocked down. And I've never known slugs to completely take out a seedling, let alone lift it from the soil. They usually just chew up the leaves. IDK why my cat would do it....doesn't make sense. Anyone have any ideas?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No slugs wouldn't be digging up your seeds or seedlings. Squirrels love corn and probably would be glad to eat the seeds you put down, but they probably aren't pulling the sprouted seedlings.

I think it is most likely birds:

Crows, blackbirds, jays, and even mockingbirds are infamous for digging up corn seeds, pea seeds and small plants.
https://www.stclareseeds.com/gardenpests/birds-in-garden.html

That article has some suggestions about what to do about them.

But be prepared, if you do get the corn to live and produce ears, to keep guarding it. I gave up on trying to grow corn, when I lived with a large (but unfenced) garden space. Every critter in the world LOVES corn! The birds and squirrels, but also deer, raccoons, woodchucks, possums, mice, etc etc. Since I had all of those living with me on that property, it just wasn't worth the struggle.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Weird that I haven't had a problem in the previous 4 years of growing it. My yard is fenced in, so that helps some. The deer and stuff really don't bother to come this far out of the woods and jump a fence. I guess the chicken wire will do the trick till the corn is big enough to not be uprooted. If another issue arises after that, I'll deal with it as it comes. It has just been so easy in past years that this sudden problem is really frustrating. :evil:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

ok, I put chicken wire around the corn, 3 feet up, closed on all sides. AND put some across the top leaving about a 6x6 hole in the top for access only. I also put a few bamboo poles with bags and shiny stuff hanging to chase away some birds, and replanted the uprooted seedlings with extras I have sprouted. And only about 4 hours later, whatever is getting my corn has gotten into it again :evil:

At this point, it almost has to be squirrels. Definitely not the cat, and I think it would be a bit of a P.I.A. for a bird. and probably not worth their while. I'm gonna have to go get more critter ridder to apply around the perimeter of the cage, and hope that does the trick. If not, I don't know what else to do.

I'm so disheartened. I have never had an issue before. and it's killing me seeing all those broken, dying seedlings laying on the dirt next to where they were so happily growing like a bunch of corpses, killed for no reason.

Damn nature on nature violence! :roll:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Added this to the deployment of defenses. Hopefully it's worth a darn.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/owl.jpg[/img]

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

This is becoming more of a blog than actual thread...but I'm posting anyways. Whatever was in the corn went right past my owl some time between midnight last night and about 9am this morning. I went right up to home depot and got some critter ridder. It's organic and made from eggs and pepper oils mostly. Hopefully this does the trick. If not, my head may explode.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Can you borrow someone's dog for an overnight "visit"? The dog will need to be accustomed to the outdoors, or someone will need to sleep on the porch so that the dog doesn't feel punished.

But having a dog available to chase/bark at/scare invaders (if they're rabbits or other four-foots) might deter them for quite a while, being a complete surprise! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

nah no dog I can borrow. Wouldn't want it to give the chickens a heart attack either! lol. My cat, a 21lb mainecoon, stays in the yard. But he doesn't seem to give a rat's "humph" about a few squirrels. So far there has been no damage today. Not sure if it's the critter ridder or the fact that it has been overcast and drizzly all day. I'll have to reapply when it stops raining. But it's supposed to be raining all week. You're not even supposed to apply it in wet conditions but I had to. Either that or lose all my corn.

The owl is about 10 feet off the ground right on the edge of the corn bed. Maybe I should plop him right in the middle of the bed on a 2ft post! Hard to miss there. You would think with the bobbing/ rotating head they'd see him.

I suppose it could make one heck of a bed for something else! But we love that fresh corn so much! And it's one of the few things that freeze well so we can enjoy it during the fall and winter (if it lasts that long).

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Approximately 31 hours with no damage to the corn. And no surprise, it's been about 31 hours since I applied the critter ridder! shocker. I should have gone back to what I knew worked sooner rather than later. I guess the $18 price tag had me trying free methods first....although, the owl was like $20 so...

anyway, disaster seems to have been averted for now. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”