GardenRN
Greener Thumb

A new lesson in organic earwig control

I cut the very tip of the handle off of one of my dried long neck gourds from last year and it has been sitting next to the tomatoes for about a week. This morning I grabbed it to use as a watering can to water in a new transplant because my watering can was hidden by the kids. As I plunged it into a barrel of rain water to fill it up, HUNDREDS of earwigs came scurrying out! Most of them drown in the barrel. Needless to say, I'll be leaving it out and filling it with water daily now.

There were lots of juveniles and adults in there so I am assuming they were breeding in there. I know it's just a drop in the bucket, but who can complain about getting rid of hundreds of the buggers at one time, and all the potential offspring they would have made? :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Wow. Who'da thunk it? Great tip!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Tonio
Green Thumb

great tip!!

hey, wouldn't it work w/ snail slugs too? Maybe put some mulch in the opening to keep it dark?

ooohh, maybe get a plastic food container, paint it and have a beer trap inside w/ a covered door for entry. :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

no snails or slugs to be found. just hoards of eawigs

ThomasCA

You can also use cut up sections of an old garden hose.

Cut a piece a couple feet long and lay them on the ground around your plants. In the morning, go out, pick up the hose (closing up one end) and tip it into a bucket of soapy water. You'll get tons of 'em!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”